Ana P. Gutierrez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:20
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 13, 2007

Hi,

I have been asked to quote the translation of a group of diplomas/degrees from a foreign country for evaluation here in the U.S. (for educational purposes).

It is my understanding that I will have to provide a certificate of accuracy along with each translation, of which I already have a sample form I use, and was also thinking of getting them notarized to make sure all I know to do has been done to make of this document translation a 'certified translation'.

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows of anything else I may have to door any additional statements that need to be added to the certificate of accuracy, for the translation of education records for university convalidation of these, , here in the U.S.

Thanks a lot!

Ana

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:20
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Talk to your potential client Dec 13, 2007

Every university seems to have its own requirements. What you're proposing to do seems to meet the requirements for many of them. But I have been asked whether I have any credentials from Peru (I don't, but I can still read documents written there.) or whether I am certified for translation from Polish to English by the Supreme Court of Kansas (I'm not, because they have no such certification.). Your potential client, which appears to be some sort of intermediary rather than the university itself, should know what its requirements are.

Another point: Depending on what the client's requirements are, that may involve additional costs for you. You don't want to be surprised by these additional costs later.

Ana P. Gutierrez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:20
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps I should check with the university Dec 13, 2007

Thank you for your input Paul, it's very useful.

I am dealing directly with a client who needs her degrees translated for a university she's applying for.
She has several friends who will be giving me theirs as well, I am guessing I will be dealing with clients that will be going to different universities.

So, perhaps what I'll need to do is check the university's requirements for each case.

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:20
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Keep track Dec 14, 2007

Ana Gutierrez wrote:

Thank you for your input Paul, it's very useful.

I am dealing directly with a client who needs her degrees translated for a university she's applying for.
She has several friends who will be giving me theirs as well, I am guessing I will be dealing with clients that will be going to different universities.

So, perhaps what I'll need to do is check the university's requirements for each case.

That sounds good. If you do this, you should give the client a piece of paper (not part of the translation) indicating to whom you spoke about the university's requirements. Also, file a copy of that, either as an electronic document or a paper one, in case your client misplaces the paper (or you need to do another one for the same university).

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not much Dec 14, 2007

Just a simple statement will do, not notarized. I do a lot of that kind of work, and through the years (many, many years) no one has ever come back saying they were not accepted. My understanding is that they go to some evaluating outfit and then go to the university in question, but I am not involved in that.

If you send me an e-mail, I'll be glad to send you a sample of what I use, which you can then adjust to yourself.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of Diplomas/Degrees in the United States

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs