Translation of a video - how much to charge?
Thread poster: Carolin Haase

Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:49
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 18, 2007

Hi,

I was approached by a client today who wants to have a video translated. The content is probably quite simple, as is the language, but there is no script. He wants me to listen an "jot down the translation". We basically agreed on charging by the hour, and tomorrow he wants to send me a sample so I can see if I want to do it or not.
Have you ever done this kind of work? Is charging by the hour correct, and how much?

Thank you for your input!

Best regards,
Carolin

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 20:49
German to English
2-part job Dec 18, 2007

This task has two parts: transcription, which can take quite a bit of time, plus translation of the transcription. On those few occasions I have done this, I've charged by the hour for the transcription, then by the word for the translation. People more experienced than I can give you a good estimate for the transcription. (depending upon the sound quality, it takes me about 1/2 hour per running minute). You can always over-estimate the transcription time and make the client happy by coming in under estimate. I've found that German, for example, is spoken at about 150 words/minute, so I've multiplied the number of minutes of the video by 150 to get a rough word count. I've not lost money on these jobs and the clients haven't complained about the expense.

If the video is not already in digital format, you would do well to convert it (easily accomplished with free or low-cost software, plus an inexpensive conversion device + patch cords), as you will want to put the sections of the video on a continuous loop as you transcribe each section. Conversion time should also be built into your estimate.

Others may be able to give you better advice, as I've only done about a half dozen of these jobs over the past few years.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What is it for? Dec 18, 2007

Check item #1 on http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/226 and ask your client.

Though I wrote it quite a while ago, and part of it is technically obsolete, most considerations prevail. You'll find ideas on how to charge at the end.

Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:49
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both of you! Dec 19, 2007

Actually, the client has not sent anything yet, but if (and when) he does, I will certainly take into account what you suggested.

James O'Reilly
Germany
German to English
+ ...
More good tip pointers Dec 19, 2007

General Audio transcription/translation rates
http://www.proz.com/topic/67470?float=true

What to quote for audio translation
http://www.proz.com/topic/66762?float=true

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of a video - how much to charge?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs