Kornelija Karalic  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 18:12
Member (2006)
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Dec 24, 2007

Hi,
Can someone tell me how to count hourly rate?
I have never worked before for hourly rate. For example, if the hourly rate is 35 Euros, and I work 10 days, how to count it? Is it 8 hours per day, and what if I must work more then 8 hours per day?
Thanks in advance.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:12
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
to me 1h is 1h Dec 24, 2007

If you work 100h over 10 days there is no reason to bill for less. You could use a special software for recording hours worked within one project. For example Exact Spend.

Marry Christmas

Stanislaw

Kornelija Karalic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2006)
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exact Spend Dec 24, 2007

Hi Sten, thank you very much. Can you send me the web where I can find that software?

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:12
Spanish
+ ...
Exact Spend Dec 24, 2007

Stanislaw,

How does Exact Spend work? I've been using TimeStamp to keep track of the time and then I apply my hourly rate to manually calculate the price.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Not quite sure I understand your question Dec 24, 2007

Kornelija Mujkic wrote:

For example, if the hourly rate is 35 Euros, and I work 10 days, how to count it? Is it 8 hours per day, and what if I must work more then 8 hours per day?
Thanks in advance.

If your hourly rate is 35 Euros, it is 35 Euros, whether you work 1 or 10 hours a day.

It's up to you whether to apply a surcharge if you have to work for more than 8 hours or whatever a day/on weekends and so on.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-12-24 20:27]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One hour is one hour Dec 25, 2007

Kornelija Mujkic wrote:
For example, if the hourly rate is 35 Euros, and I work 10 days, how to count it?

If you've worked exactly 8 hours each day, then you charge for 8 hours per day. If you've worked 4 hours on one day and 9 hours on another day, then you charge for 4+9 hours on those two days.

You can't charge your lunch hour if you're not a salaried employee of the client... so if you've worked from 9:00 to 17:00 but you've taken an hour for lunch and two 30 minute smoke breaks, you can only charge for 6 hours (unless your country has some other law about this).

I would not use Exactspend unless you're charging by the minute. Surely you can write down your start and end times on a piece of paper?

Maayan David
Maayan David
Israel
Local time: 19:12
English to Hebrew
use MS Excel to count the time Dec 25, 2007

it's very simple to constract a small table that does all the calculations for you, and all you need to do write the times..
if i knew how, i could sent you an example for such a file, which i use all the time.

Kornelija Karalic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2006)
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've been using TimeStamp to keep track of the time Dec 25, 2007

Claudia, can you tell how the TimeStam works?

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:12
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sorry my mistake - it's ExactSpent Dec 25, 2007

You can see description of the program on this webpage: http://www.exactspent.com/

But of course as someone said - you can use Excell as well. ExactSpent is helpful if you work on more than one project at the same time - you open 2 or more projects in this program and than click when you start and finish work on a particular project, and the program calculates the total time spent on a particular
... See more
You can see description of the program on this webpage: http://www.exactspent.com/

But of course as someone said - you can use Excell as well. ExactSpent is helpful if you work on more than one project at the same time - you open 2 or more projects in this program and than click when you start and finish work on a particular project, and the program calculates the total time spent on a particular project.

Kind Regards
Stanislaw
Collapse

Kornelija Karalic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2006)
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 26, 2007

Thanks a lot for all of you.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
TimeStamp can be downloaded from here Dec 26, 2007

http://www.syntap.com/

In a nutshell it allows you to record exact total times for a number of tasks running in parallel. I have been using now for quite some time and, given the fact, we sell our time - used to do X number of words - it was very useful to me.

Regards

Vito

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:12
Spanish
+ ...
TimeStamp Dec 28, 2007

Kornelija Mujkic wrote:

Claudia, can you tell how the TimeStam works?

It is basically what Vito said. It's a more complex stopwatch. It keeps track of time, allows to start/stop the timer from the task bar, it lets you "take breaks", it automatically calculates the price, and it can also make reports on the time worked. Here's the product information page.

Even though it automatically calculates the price based on your rates, I prefer to use this web site, that converts 'Hours, Minutes and Seconds' to 'Decimal Time' and let TO3000 calculate the price.

Happy new year!!

Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hourly rate

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »