Thread poster: Toralf Mjelde
Toralf Mjelde
Toralf Mjelde  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:22
Member (2007)
English to Norwegian
Dec 27, 2007

Dear colleagues,

What are your goals, as a freelance translator, for 2008? I have specific financial, educational and marketing goals, and I am interested in knowing what other people see in their future:)

Thanks,

Toralf

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 21:22
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Nothing very specific Dec 27, 2007

I only stumbeled on this forum early this year, and have found it both interesting and profitable. I plan on concentrating on the projects that I learn something from this year - either medically or linguistially - and avoiding the projects that leave me thinking: why the h#** did I agree to translate this....
Not that I have had too many of those this year either, but there is room for improvement.
I have enjoyed proz, and hope to do so in the future also.
Happy New Year to y
... See more
I only stumbeled on this forum early this year, and have found it both interesting and profitable. I plan on concentrating on the projects that I learn something from this year - either medically or linguistially - and avoiding the projects that leave me thinking: why the h#** did I agree to translate this....
Not that I have had too many of those this year either, but there is room for improvement.
I have enjoyed proz, and hope to do so in the future also.
Happy New Year to you all
Collapse

Ana Maria Bustos K.
Ana Maria Bustos K.  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:22
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Starting Postgraduate Certificate Dec 27, 2007

Hello Toralf,

On January 2nd, I will be starting a Postgraduate Certificate in Translation Studies at Universidad Chileno Británica in association with University of Warwick, UK; and I am in the process of being accepted as a member in COTICH, Chile.

As well as marketing or financial goals, I would like to open a Cafeteria with a cousin and while working at it and preparing all kind of delicious things for the customers, continue with my translations. I am also beginni
... See more
Hello Toralf,

On January 2nd, I will be starting a Postgraduate Certificate in Translation Studies at Universidad Chileno Británica in association with University of Warwick, UK; and I am in the process of being accepted as a member in COTICH, Chile.

As well as marketing or financial goals, I would like to open a Cafeteria with a cousin and while working at it and preparing all kind of delicious things for the customers, continue with my translations. I am also beginning to think about becoming an outsourcer with another colleague...

This coming year I will become a grandmother at the end of June... this has nothing to do with financial or marketing goals... maybe educational, because they say we really start to learn to be parents when we become grandparents!

I know these probably seem like too many new things to start and that the probabilities of them happening depend on so many external events, but those would be my plans and dreams for this year.

Would you like to share your specific goals?

Happy New Year!
Ana María
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
In a nutshell Dec 28, 2007

Study

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 03:22
English to Chinese
+ ...
2008 Dec 28, 2007

It is a prospering year, it is an economy-jumping year, plus the Olympic Games definitely empowers more prosperous to the nation, it is beneficial to average people as well, we all expect the year to come soon...

[Edited at 2007-12-28 08:59]

mystymy
mystymy
Spanish to English
+ ...
new tools, new position Dec 28, 2007

My business goals are to learn about the new tools on the market, I mean to really know them well inside and out. There are 2 that sparked my interest.

My second is a staff position.

My third is to brush up on my C languages. I've been letting them go fallow for too long.

On a personal note I'd like to spend a nice long time in Nice this year or Corsica, time without needing to work. This last one obviously requires more planning.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Goals for 2008

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »