Mobile menu

Off topic: Different (hours, outsourcers, file names) but the same texts - How do you feel and deal with?
Thread poster: VIBOL KEO

VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:48
English to Khmer (Central)
Jan 8, 2008

During last week I received an email from an outsourcer I had submitted a bid. Then I got another email from different sources that I have found some things as per subject line.

Facing such issues and including money matter, how do you feel and deal with?

Direct link Reply with quote
Caroline Moreno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:48
Chinese to English
+ ...
It's a Little Unclear Jan 11, 2008

Hi Vibol, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Are you dealing with a situation where you have the possibility of working with two different outsourcers on a project translating the same source text?

VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:48
English to Khmer (Central)
Yes, two different outsourcers-same text! Jan 12, 2008

Caroline Moreno,

Yes, that is the case. Thanks!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-01-12 07:35]

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It does happen Jan 12, 2008

Don't tell them anything about the other, or that you received the same text from somewhere else.
That's not your problem, and particularly not your business to tell them, because it would be a breach of confidentiality.

The chances are that they are bidding for the same job, and the outsourcer hasn't decided yet, (at least not at the time you got the second inquiry, say on the 8th Jan.) which agency is going to get the job. I think this is the most likely scenario.

Therefore, you can give a price to the other agency as well, and see which one comes up with a written purchase order. Do not start the job without it!

If both of them do, - well, I have heard of that happening, - the consensus was, you could only translate a text to the best of your ability, which would result in the same translation. In that case, as they gave you the same text to translate, you could submit the same. I know that it is not that simple, because they may got the commission from the same outsourcer, who may just gave it to both, to see, which translation would he prefer.

I would be also interested to hear other people's opinion on that situation.

It is also possible that the outsourcers are different, simply because there are two people or companies are interested in the same subject, and the text is something new, and they would like to have a proper translation done to help their understanding. In that case, you could give them both your translation. The question is, how to find out if that's the case - and I don't have an answer to that.

Sometimes you may get something to be translated months or years after you have done the translation of before, and then I really wouldn't worry about it, but revise my own translation, because by then I would be my own, very strict editor, seeing the translation with new eyes and with more experience behind me.
Also, the chances are that the client would be different; somebody, who may not even come across the original before, or they have the same idea: let's get a fresher translation.

[Edited at 2008-01-12 11:48]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different (hours, outsourcers, file names) but the same texts - How do you feel and deal with?

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs