Thread poster: Alex Pszczola
Shane Wall
Shane Wall  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 21:10
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
Document all communication, and include previous ones in the next Jan 17, 2008

I always include a factual table of communication (dates, emails, phone calls, visits, people's names, outcomes, etc.) in every written contact.

In 17 years this approach has only failed me once - he filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy ... then started another language company!

It does take a little more effort, but once you get into a 'routine' of how you want to do it, it is actually quite quick and it certainly shows the non-payer how serious and business-like your appro
... See more
I always include a factual table of communication (dates, emails, phone calls, visits, people's names, outcomes, etc.) in every written contact.

In 17 years this approach has only failed me once - he filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy ... then started another language company!

It does take a little more effort, but once you get into a 'routine' of how you want to do it, it is actually quite quick and it certainly shows the non-payer how serious and business-like your approach is ... and how ridiculous some of their excuses and replies are/were!

It seems that simply because you have taken the trouble to methodically track and record all communication with them and constantly update it with each new contact, they understand that you will have built up enough information to do them some potential 'commercial damage' if it becomes public.

I use a number of different letters that move progressively from gentle reminder to final ultimatum (which I've only sent once - and the ************ used U.S. law to 'gyp' myself, and 26 others that I managed to find, out of nearly US$70,000).

The success rate for this strategy has certainly worked for me!

Cheers,
Shane
www.translingualexpress.com
Collapse

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 17:10
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
I would not mention what I'd do Jan 21, 2008

If it is an ULTIMATUM already,

1) I'd give more time to settle (say, really a lot, some 30 days, but youhave to show that these 30 days are really "final")

2) I'd mention more specific information about the project, like: date ordered, date completed, project number, project title, material translated (say, if it was for a certain company or producer, I'd mention names), due amount, payment date in the PO, overdue days, etc. (the more info, the better - sounds more tou
... See more
If it is an ULTIMATUM already,

1) I'd give more time to settle (say, really a lot, some 30 days, but youhave to show that these 30 days are really "final")

2) I'd mention more specific information about the project, like: date ordered, date completed, project number, project title, material translated (say, if it was for a certain company or producer, I'd mention names), due amount, payment date in the PO, overdue days, etc. (the more info, the better - sounds more tough and with a serious intent),

3) I'd NOT mention where I will publish this info - I'd only mention "possible legal actions" and "making the info public" - why should you show them your cards? + it can appear like "scaring" them (just remember, if it even goes to the court of law, you shall appear a very decent and a very patient person - who waited for the payment for years, asked to settle for MANY times, gave them more than enough time to settle, never had any negative emotions - JUST wanted your payment for your very hard work),

4) I'd send it via registered airmail (they will need to sign the receipt of this letter and then open it - it will give a better effect).

Anyway, if it is just a written reminder, not an ultimatum, I'd use some non-agressive irony (maybe this can make their boss laugh and a little bit ashamed) "I'd love to work for your agency, however, I still wonder if I can receive my cash during the next couple of years" or alike

P.S. In my opinion, the purpose of an ultimatum letter is to show that you are really serious and you WILL go for legal actions (they have no other choice if they do not pay), not that you are a translator who sends this letter expecting to "scare" them Be as much "cold" and "formal" as possible. Add such phrases like "final/last reminder", make them see words "court of law", "possible big expenses for your company" etc. GOOD LUCK!!!

[Edited at 2008-01-21 03:30]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on ultimatum letter for late-payer

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »