Mobile menu

Internet charges as business expenses in the UK?
Thread poster: Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:40
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 14, 2008

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I could not find any relevant discussions just now.

Most of us have 24/7 broadband internet access these days, I would imagine, for both personal and business use. Now my question is, can I claim my internet charges as business expenses in my tax return? And if yes, can I claim the full amount, or only a part of it, and if so what percentage?

I had a look at the HMRC website but could not find anything relevant. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Direct link Reply with quote

simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:40
Italian to English
90% Jan 14, 2008

I put down 90% of my yearly internet bill for broadband in my self-employed expenses. I find the self-employment department of the Inland Revenue extremely helpful. Their London number is 0208 357 3752. Or look on for more info. Hope this helps.

Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 02:40
German to English
Yes Jan 14, 2008

My accountant advised me to estimate (or work out, if it's fairly straightforward!), the percentage of my Internet usage which is for business and the percentage which is for fun. Say, for example, it's 50% on each. This would allow you to claim 50% of your broadband bills as a tax-deductable expense.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internet charges as business expenses in the UK?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs