https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/9520-international_wire_transfers.html

International wire transfers
Thread poster: Maria Knorr
Maria Knorr
Maria Knorr
Local time: 06:13
English
+ ...
Mar 18, 2003

I need to transfer some money to France and it has to be done either through international check or international wire transfer. I checked with my bank and it\'s kind of expensive so I was wondering if somebody can tell me how to get money over there relatively cheap. Paypal and other such services are out of question.

Thank you.

Maria

Olga Antonova
Olga Antonova  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:13
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Money transfer Mar 18, 2003

Ìàøóëÿ (ìîæíî Âàñ òàê íàçûâàòü?),

ïîïðîáóéòå ÷åðåç MONEYGRAM (â ïî÷òîâûõ îòäåëåíèÿõ) - ó íàñ â Èòàëèè, ñðàâíèâàÿ ñ áàíêîâñêèìè êîìèññèÿìè, ýòî âûãîäíåå.

֏.

Î.

Joseph Milanes Rosacena
Joseph Milanes Rosacena
Spanish to Tagalog
+ ...
Western Union or Postal check Mar 18, 2003

Hi Maria. I guess the easiest, fastest and of course the cheapest way of sending money is through Western Union. They charge I suppose 10€ or less and the money goes straight right through another Western Union branch in France. You may opt for a postal check (more secure though a bit slow) which will take at least a week or two to get there. I usually use these two methods since as you have said, it\'s too expensive to do wire transfer. I hope this piece of advice help you.

Olga Antonova
Olga Antonova  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Money transfer Mar 18, 2003

Ìàøóëÿ (ìîæíî Âàñ òàê íàçûâàòü?),

ïîïðîáóéòå ÷åðåç MONEYGRAM (â ïî÷òîâûõ îòäåëåíèÿõ) - ó íàñ â Èòàëèè, ñðàâíèâàÿ ñ áàíêîâñêèìè êîìèññèÿìè, ýòî âûãîäíåå.

֏.

Î.

Maria Knorr
Maria Knorr
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More questions Mar 18, 2003

Quote:

They charge I suppose 10€ or less and the money goes straight right through another Western Union branch in France. You may opt for a postal check (more secure though a bit slow) which will take at least a week or two to get there. I usually use these two methods since as you have said, it\'s too expensive to do wire transfer.

Wire transfer costs about 25% of the sum. What do I need know t
... See more
Quote:

They charge I suppose 10€ or less and the money goes straight right through another Western Union branch in France. You may opt for a postal check (more secure though a bit slow) which will take at least a week or two to get there. I usually use these two methods since as you have said, it\'s too expensive to do wire transfer.

Wire transfer costs about 25% of the sum. What do I need know to use Western Union? And what do you mean more secure? Is Western Union not secure?

Mashulya is fine with me. Can you tell me a little bit more about MoneyGram?

Sorry if the questions are too easy, but I\'ve never done this before and the sum is quiet large and I need to make sure it get\'s to the person in France.

Maria
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:13
German to English
Western Union Mar 19, 2003

You call them and give the details over the phone - you pay your money and their fees. They give you a security number which you pass on to the person receiving the money. They also need to know all the details of the transaction and must provide proof of name and address. They go to their local Western Union collection point, give the security number, answer other questions such as \"who sent the money, how much money is it\" etc. When WU are satisfied that they are the right person they hand o... See more
You call them and give the details over the phone - you pay your money and their fees. They give you a security number which you pass on to the person receiving the money. They also need to know all the details of the transaction and must provide proof of name and address. They go to their local Western Union collection point, give the security number, answer other questions such as \"who sent the money, how much money is it\" etc. When WU are satisfied that they are the right person they hand over the cash.

Is it secure? Relatively - they put in plenty of tests to make sure the right person gets the money. A cheque in the post is also relatively secure in terms of (at least in the UK) you would need a bank account with the same name on it to cash the cheque but at least in theory someone elese could get hold of it.
Collapse

Maryna Guba
Maryna Guba  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
More on Western Union Mar 19, 2003

Dear Maria:

you can check out their page, www.westernunion.com - I don\'t know about other locations, but if you\'re checking from the USA, it gives you a little calculator - so you can calculate the cost for the transfer of the amount you\'ve got - based on the country of destination and the state you\'re in. (BTW, when I used it it turned out even $5 less when I actually went to the WU \'station\').... See more
Dear Maria:

you can check out their page, www.westernunion.com - I don\'t know about other locations, but if you\'re checking from the USA, it gives you a little calculator - so you can calculate the cost for the transfer of the amount you\'ve got - based on the country of destination and the state you\'re in. (BTW, when I used it it turned out even $5 less when I actually went to the WU \'station\').

You can send it from online, using the credit card - or an old fashioned way, going to the location - you can find them again through online, - or your local Yellow Pages. I live in a small Midwestern town - and we have a few in grocery stores and KMart - I\'m sure you do too).

You need the person\'s name and the address (but if I remember right, only the city and the country). The recipient needs to know your full details (like address, etc) you put on the form - to fill in at the destination along with the 10-digit transfer \'code\'.

I\'ve never heard about problems etc. - and used it myself - both to send and to receive money when I was overseas.

However, the fees are a bit high if the amount if really big - and I\'m not sure if there is any limit on the amount. You have to check that out.

For wire - my bank charges flat fee of $45 for any amount you send overseas - yes, steep, but if, say we talk of over $500 - my calculation showed that it was not \'worse\' than WU. Good luck!

Maryna.
Collapse

nuvo
nuvo
Indonesia
Local time: 17:13
English to Indonesian
+ ...
You can try to use online account Mar 19, 2003

Maybe you can try to use online account like paypal. Go to www.paypal.com. Or you can also use e-gold account: http://www.referralearnings.com/pages/index.php?refid=kidz

However, many people prefer to use check.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

International wire transfers

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »