Agencies that demand your bank details
Thread poster: Silvia Ferrero
Silvia Ferrero
Silvia Ferrero  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 20, 2003

I have come across lately a couple of agencies that have demanded me my bank details. I do not know if this is normal practice, as for now I have only received payment by cheque. One of them has even told me that they pass on these details to the client who ordered the translation so s/he pays me directly, and then I have to give a percentage of that amount to the agency. I am not sure what to do, as I am often reluctant to give my bank details, especially when I do not know anything about th... See more
I have come across lately a couple of agencies that have demanded me my bank details. I do not know if this is normal practice, as for now I have only received payment by cheque. One of them has even told me that they pass on these details to the client who ordered the translation so s/he pays me directly, and then I have to give a percentage of that amount to the agency. I am not sure what to do, as I am often reluctant to give my bank details, especially when I do not know anything about the agencies. Can anyone tell me if they have been in the same situation or if you think it is safe to disclose your details?

Thank you very much
Collapse

Jeremias MARSCHALIK (X)
Jeremias MARSCHALIK (X)
Local time: 11:21
Hebrew to French
+ ...
This is common practice Mar 20, 2003

Hello,

I spend my day sending my bank accounts details.

If direct clients and agencies pay you through wire transfer, that\'s the way they get enabled to do it...

As far as the safety of your accounts is concerned... that\'s another matter. I do not know much about it, but anyways, plunderers would first need your signature. And anybody can forge documents, esp. faxes, therefore, from the moment that...

In most c
... See more
Hello,

I spend my day sending my bank accounts details.

If direct clients and agencies pay you through wire transfer, that\'s the way they get enabled to do it...

As far as the safety of your accounts is concerned... that\'s another matter. I do not know much about it, but anyways, plunderers would first need your signature. And anybody can forge documents, esp. faxes, therefore, from the moment that...

In most countries, you have thirty days to turn to your bank when noticing something wrong.

What you may not send everybody (but is there any reason for that?) is your credit cards details. Hence PayPal.

With best regards,

Jirmejahu Marschalik

www.intohebrew.com
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
check seriousness of the agency Mar 20, 2003

In my case, most clients pay by cheque, but I work with some agencies that pay me by direct transfer into my account, and I find this very convenient as I don\'t have to post cheques or go to the bank.

In the case of some other agencies, which have asked for my bank details stating that it is their way of paying, before contacting me for an actual job, I check their payment practices first and decide whether to let them know or tell them that the my bank details will be included in my
... See more
In my case, most clients pay by cheque, but I work with some agencies that pay me by direct transfer into my account, and I find this very convenient as I don\'t have to post cheques or go to the bank.

In the case of some other agencies, which have asked for my bank details stating that it is their way of paying, before contacting me for an actual job, I check their payment practices first and decide whether to let them know or tell them that the my bank details will be included in my invoice when I get a job from them.

Anyway, there\'s not much they can do with a sort code and an account number, more than deposit money, which I don\'t think they will do just for nothing!!!

Or am I being too naive???

More opinions please!!

Kind regrds,

Grace.

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Normal business practice Mar 20, 2003

I pay exclusively by bank transfer - with a few exceptions, my clients do the same.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Absolutely normal Mar 20, 2003

My full bank details are included in every single invoice I issue, otherwise I wouldn\'t see any money since I always request payments by a wire transfer only.

Magda

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:21
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Normal practice Mar 20, 2003

Most of the companies in the US pay me by checks, but a few of them that are based in the US and all of them that are based outside of the US pay me by wire transfer. I have never had any problems so far.

Monika

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:21
French to English
Direct payment from end client? Mar 20, 2003

Quote:

One of them has even told me that they pass on these details to the client who ordered the translation so s/he pays me directly, and then I have to give a percentage of that amount to the agency. I am not sure what to do, as I am often reluctant to give my bank details, especially when I do not know anything about the agencies.

As others have said, bank transfers are a common method of payment f... See more
Quote:

One of them has even told me that they pass on these details to the client who ordered the translation so s/he pays me directly, and then I have to give a percentage of that amount to the agency. I am not sure what to do, as I am often reluctant to give my bank details, especially when I do not know anything about the agencies.

As others have said, bank transfers are a common method of payment for agencies.

However, you said that the agency would pass your bank details on to their client so they could pay you directly, but you\'d also have to pay a commission to the agency. No wonder you\'re reluctant to give your information! This is very strange way of doing things. It is the agency\'s responsibility to receive the payment from the client as well as pay your invoice. They should be charging enough to the client in order to keep their commission when they pay you.

How exactly are you supposed to pay the agency a commission? I\'m really baffled about this. If they say that the client will pay you, then ask for the client\'s contact info and say you\'ll send the invoice directly to them. Or you can simply say that you don\'t work that way, that the agency is YOUR client and that THEY should be the ones paying your invoice (not expecting YOU to give them a commission from the client\'s payment).

You might want to ask about this agency on some payment practices lists and see if any other translator has had the same experience. That might give you a clue as to where to go from here.

Sorry, wish I could help more. Good luck,

Erika

Collapse

Silvia Ferrero
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you everybody Mar 21, 2003

Thank you for your help, I can see it is normal to give your bank details to agencies and clients. I know sometimes I am a bit paranoid, but nowadays I really do not know who to trust. And as Erika says, it really is strange that this agency wants to pass on my details to the client and then it is me who has to give them their percentage. I think I will check the reputation of the agency anyway, but thanks to everybody who answered, I feel a bit safer now.

Silvia Ferrero
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you everybody Mar 21, 2003

I posted a message before but it has not appeared. I wanted to thank everybody who answered for making me realise it is common to give your bank details, I feel a bit safer now. However, as Erika says, it is strange that this agency in particular wants my details in order to pass them on to the clients and then it is me who has to give them their percentage. I think I will check their reputation anyway before proceeding, you cannot be too careful these days.

Jeannie Graham
Jeannie Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Easiest way to pay Mar 21, 2003

I always transfer payment to translators by bank transfer. This is the easiest, safest and quickest way to pay. Some of our clients pay us the same way (I wish all would!) and our invoices have our bank details printed on them.

The only details you need supply though are the name of your bank, the sorting code (or equivalent in your country) and you account name and number.

I don\'t think this poses any danger as with these details you can only deposit funds into an account
... See more
I always transfer payment to translators by bank transfer. This is the easiest, safest and quickest way to pay. Some of our clients pay us the same way (I wish all would!) and our invoices have our bank details printed on them.

The only details you need supply though are the name of your bank, the sorting code (or equivalent in your country) and you account name and number.

I don\'t think this poses any danger as with these details you can only deposit funds into an account not withdraw.

It really is preferable to waiting for a cheque to arrive. Hope your receive your payment ok.

Jeannie Graham
Collapse

Kevin Harper
Kevin Harper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Sometimes Included on Headed Paper Mar 21, 2003

It seems to me, from translating huge numbers of business letters, that it is quite normal in some places to include your bank details at the bottom of letters.

If you are worried about giving personal banking details, open a separate account for business transactions only.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies that demand your bank details

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »