Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:18
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 20, 2003

Anyone in the UK got any idea what the charge is going to be for banking a US dollar denominated cheque? the bank in question is HSBC.

Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi Dan Mar 20, 2003

I\'ve also got a bank account with HSBC. I don\'t really know how they determine their charges, they charge me 6 GBP for cheques over 100 USD. However, for an 80-dollar cheque once they didn\'t deduct a penny... Was I just lucky that time?!

jerrie
jerrie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
A tenner Mar 20, 2003

Was my bank\'s charge for the last foreign currency cheque (Euro) that I paid in. Best to save up as many cheques as possible, and hopefully just get the one fixed charge.

HSBC have their own unique charge though...give them a call!

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks guys Mar 21, 2003

i just wanted to know how much to build in so i didn\'t end up footing the bill.

so - are US cheques cheaper than international bank transfers?

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:18
German to Italian
+ ...
same charge Mar 21, 2003

Hi Dan,

HSBC charges me the same fee - 6 GPB - for cheques paid in my account (USD) and for international bank transfers (euro), whatever the amount is. For agencies with which I work regularly, I prefer to write a monthly invoice - I found it easier for keeping track of my bookkeeping and reducing the charges.

Anyway it\'s worth having a word with the bank manager and discussing with him/her what might be the best solution...

Ciao, Gilda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US dollar cheques in the UK

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »