Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Why the translation agencies are missing from discussion?
Thread poster: Subhan Fakhrizada

Subhan Fakhrizada  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:32
English to Pashto (Pushto)
+ ...
Feb 8, 2008

Hello,

I have been reading a lot of forum at Proz, regarding business issues about translation/translators.
What i am wondering about is, why the corporate member of the Proz.com are missing from the discussions? There are lot of threads, talking about working with agencies and the problem they have.

It would be nice if we have some corporate members, to participant and present the agencies' point of view.

All the best,

[Edited at 2008-02-09 00:56]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:32
Spanish to English
From what I can see... Feb 8, 2008

A lot of the people who participate in the discussions are owners of agencies but are not identified as such. It is only recently that there has been such a thing as corporate membership and I do not really know if that includes being identified as such when participating in forums.

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:02
German to English
Good point, Subhan Feb 9, 2008

Subhan Fakhrizada wrote:

It would be nice if we have some corporate members, to participant and present the agencies' point of view.

All the best,

[Edited at 2008-02-09 00:56]

I have often thought the same myself, especially when I read the numerous discussions on rates, test translations, confidentiality agreements, late payment, etc.

It would be good and helpful to have some response from some of the agencies listed on the Blue Board, not necessarily only corporate members. We usually only get to hear about the freelancers' point of view, not the agency's.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
I attempted to delve into this also Feb 9, 2008

Some time ago I asked this very same question, especially since among freelancers there is a lot of agency-bashing going on, yet there appears to be no response or opinion being expressed by any agencies.

The response from agencies was zero; though there should be agencies represented here, apparently none of them wish to enter such discussions. It would be nice to hear their point of view, but if they remain silent then all we can do is to keep on wondering.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
They occasionally do participate Feb 9, 2008

They very occasionally participate. However, based on my personal experience, I think we can assume that the bigger agencies don't even stop by the forum here, and the agencies who do participate are more like one-man and one-woman operations, so I think that if they do participate, it is more because they are also freelancers at the same time, which means they can relate to the subjects more than big agencies can.

I think that if there is not more participation than this, it is mainly because these people rarely use forums to get ahead like freelancers do (they have agency versions of software so they have free support and therefore don't rely on a forum like this one to sort things out, etc.), but I somehow also feel that they prefer not to discuss issues brought up by translators, because that would probably only contribute to the agency-bashing, and it would also allow us freelancers to identify the bad ones (if the hat don't fit you...).

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 02:32
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"A lot of the people who participate ...are owners of agencies" Feb 9, 2008

A lot of the people who participate in the discussions are owners of agencies but are not identified as such...

I'd second that. Looking forward to the coming-out day;) After all, this is a place, equal for all, whatever "race, gender and affiliation".

Regards

Vito

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:32
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Why the translation agencies are missing from discussion? Feb 9, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

Some time ago I asked this very same question, especially since among freelancers there is a lot of agency-bashing going on, yet there appears to be no response or opinion being expressed by any agencies.

because we are right...

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not all outsourcers are missing... Feb 9, 2008

...here's one.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Oh, Ralf?!... Feb 9, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

...here's one.

Can I send you my CV;)?

Subhan Fakhrizada  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Pashto (Pushto)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very interesting Feb 10, 2008

Thanks for all the reply. It is just exactly as i had thought.

Even if there are agencies/outsources participants in the forum, we do not that, as their corporate membership is not shown.

One question i have is, when participating in the forum, why the user's corporate membership logo is not shown?

Some people have one the word Member beside thier name, not showing the year they joined. Does it mean it is corporate member?

Best regards,

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The agencies do take part... Feb 10, 2008

Subhan Fakhrizada wrote:
What I am wondering about is, why the corporate members of the Proz.com are missing from the discussions?... It would be nice if we have some corporate members to participate and present the agencies' point of view.

Firstly, many of the individuals who post messages in the forum are in fact from agencies, and their views to reflect their own experience.

Secondly, I don't think it really matters what different agencies believe (no flames, please!). You can't force your client to behave in a certain way just because another agency posted a comment on ProZ.com and said such and such a thing. The value of the forums is for translators to decide for themselves what they believe is fair, and they are free to approach their individual clients with their views.

Thirdly, it may be unwise for corporate members to post comments under their corporate profile name, because it may give the impression that they are presenting their official view on issues. It is far better for agencies to let their individual members post comments here under their own names, I think.

[Edited at 2008-02-10 07:08]

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
length of membership. Feb 10, 2008

Subhan Fakhrizada wrote:

Some people have one the word Member beside thier name, not showing the year they joined. Does it mean it is corporate member?

No, it's because those people (myself included) don't want to advertise how long they have been members. It's an option in the profile. Nothing to do with corporate membership; I'm an individual freelancer.

Franziska Hardmeier  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Agency staff issue - just a thought Feb 11, 2008

It might also be that staff in bigger agencies cannot change the way their own agency works and often work to guidelines given to them from above. In that way they might relate to the issues that freelancers point out but they themselves cannot change anything about it, so why get involved?

Owners of these agencies might not actively do the vendor management, ie they also are not in contact with vendors? Many agencies separate business development, vendor management, project management and production...

Or maybe agencies might not want to attract more applications by freelancers than they receive through the usual corporate profile anyways as they do not have the time to process them? Therefore they keep activity low?

Just some thoughts on the topic.

Prima Vista
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:32
Russian to English
+ ...
I wish we could... Feb 12, 2008

I am not going to speak for all the PMs and managers, but I can give you my personal opinion: we don't have time. In the office we are supposed to work and we are forbidden to visit any forums, chat-rooms, etc. Freelancers can afford an extra break - we have 9am-5pm, 1 hour for lunch and 15 mins for a coffee-break. And at home, I personally don't even want to see the computer after the 8 hours of staring into the display.

And I think that, after all, agencies simply don't care... Maybe, they should - but that's the other question.

+ your guesses are generally true to life.

Best wishes,
Tatiana

Syntes Language
United States
Local time: 18:32
My 10c Feb 12, 2008

Personal Opinion

I read the forums roughly once or twice a month to keep up to date with what's going on. Most times when I would like to respond, the conflict between speaking "officially" vs. personal opinion is such that I don't bother.

Another reason for not responding is that I don't want to start off a blizzard of resumes.
Frankly, I am not keen on receiving resumes unless I specifically request them. We get so many that they end up filed and most likely will never see the light of day. From a data management perspective, it makes more sense for me to use Proz Connect when I am seeking translators with a language pair or specialization that I don't already have, then to trawl through old and, most likely out of date, resumes.

Matt Harding
Director of Operations
Syntes Language Group
Colorado USA

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why the translation agencies are missing from discussion?

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs