https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/97480-how_to_deal_with_emails_while_outside_your_office.html

How to deal with emails while outside your office?
Thread poster: Elisa Côté (X)
Elisa Côté (X)
Elisa Côté (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Feb 18, 2008

Hi,
I'm a freelance translator and I receive usually a lot of proz job by email but as I'm often outside my home because I also give japanese lessons in a private school, I miss some great opportunities to bid on new projects.

My cellphone deal will finish soon so I was wondering about different choices but :
-many offers are cheap for unlimited emails and sms access but if I receive an email with proz for exemple, I have to go on the web to bid on the project and the of
... See more
Hi,
I'm a freelance translator and I receive usually a lot of proz job by email but as I'm often outside my home because I also give japanese lessons in a private school, I miss some great opportunities to bid on new projects.

My cellphone deal will finish soon so I was wondering about different choices but :
-many offers are cheap for unlimited emails and sms access but if I receive an email with proz for exemple, I have to go on the web to bid on the project and the offers for unlimited web access is kind of expensive (70$ more per month!)

So before making a decision, I was wondering if someone as a better idea how to deal with my problem.

Thank you very much!
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:55
French to English
Today's poll Feb 18, 2008

I'm not a Blackberry user, but today's poll gives some insight into this very issue

cisternas
cisternas  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
A blackberry saved my life... Feb 18, 2008

I am in contact with the world at any minute and I paid the blackberry and access with just one work (received through my blackeberry).

Regards, Cristina

[Edited at 2008-02-19 15:31]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Most 3G mobile phones support email Feb 18, 2008

Nokia Communicator was probably the first, but now there are lots of models.
Beware your pupils don't get nervous when you check your mail every minute (-;

In fact I used my GPRS mobile phone for anwering emails in 2002, but after that junk mail started to overflow my server so it is not practical anymore. In most countries you have to pay for the incoming flow, so junk mail would cost you dearly. I had then a flat-rate about 18 Euro/month, so that was not the problem, but man
... See more
Nokia Communicator was probably the first, but now there are lots of models.
Beware your pupils don't get nervous when you check your mail every minute (-;

In fact I used my GPRS mobile phone for anwering emails in 2002, but after that junk mail started to overflow my server so it is not practical anymore. In most countries you have to pay for the incoming flow, so junk mail would cost you dearly. I had then a flat-rate about 18 Euro/month, so that was not the problem, but managing hundreds of junk mail items on the tiny screen is not fun.

With webmail things should be easier, most modern phones support web-browsing, even if they are sometimes not very good as basic telephones.

Cheers
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2008-02-19 07:22]
Collapse

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Blackberry too... Feb 18, 2008

Although it is rustic for answering e-mails, I can check attachments (Word, Excel with multiple tabs) easily enough to be able to give an answer (commit to a job or not). It's $70 per month with Sprint (telephone 300 mn/month+ illimited Internet + navigation system), but I think it is worth it.

[Edited at 2008-02-18 23:15]

Ana Castorena
Ana Castorena  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:55
English to Spanish
Broadband card Feb 19, 2008

I have found that very useful, the only problem is that you have to carry you laptop with you and pay the service, but since most of us carry our laptop around anyway, I recommend that you check that out, maybe it's cheaper than a new phone/service

[Edited at 2008-02-19 01:28]

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:55
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
web access Feb 19, 2008

In many cases to submit a quote you will need access to the web, otherwise you will be only more stressed watching as opportunities are passing by. Having said so I believe that good jobs tend to be open longer and are not distributed on first come first served basis.

Kind Regards
S

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 03:55
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
"push email" Feb 19, 2008

I'd suggest reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_email

I just purchased a modern smart phone and I find it very convenient. I use high-speed internet (via cable) for my work, but a smartphone can also be a good "emergency" solution if the "main" Internet goes down (you can use it as a modem too).

Helen Li
Helen Li  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 08:55
English to Chinese
+ ...
Use a 3G Handpone with Pushmail function Feb 19, 2008

Hi, I use a handphone with pushmail function (Sony Ericsson P1i), which is really helpful. Whenever there is a new email, it can notify you instantly. You can read the email and its attachment (if any) and reply the email. The phone size is small, touch screen, and user friendly.

Hope it helps:)

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:55
French to English
+ ...
Nokia E61 Feb 19, 2008

I use a Nokia E61 which has 'push email' capability but I don't use this feature - instead I check my mail on the web (I couldn't cope if it beeped every time I got an email!).

I have the cheapest monthly contract with T-mobile (UK) as I don't make many calls - on top of that I pay £7.50 (about $15) a month for 'web & walk' which offers (almost) unlimited web access. The phone can also be used as a modem (included in price) so I can link it up to my laptop if I need to.

... See more
I use a Nokia E61 which has 'push email' capability but I don't use this feature - instead I check my mail on the web (I couldn't cope if it beeped every time I got an email!).

I have the cheapest monthly contract with T-mobile (UK) as I don't make many calls - on top of that I pay £7.50 (about $15) a month for 'web & walk' which offers (almost) unlimited web access. The phone can also be used as a modem (included in price) so I can link it up to my laptop if I need to.

So I pay around £22 a month for a good comprehensive service. And the phone itself only cost £10 when I took out the 18-month contract.
Collapse

Thorson
Thorson
Danish to English
A different solution Feb 19, 2008

This will work if you have access to computers that are connected to the net: PortableApps.com has versions of many applications that are installed on and run from a USB key, including Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc.

This way you can plug the USB up to a computer and run your apps, check your e-mail, etc. without installing anything on the computer or leaving any files, cookies or traces behind on the computer.

Combine that with a messaging service which
... See more
This will work if you have access to computers that are connected to the net: PortableApps.com has versions of many applications that are installed on and run from a USB key, including Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc.

This way you can plug the USB up to a computer and run your apps, check your e-mail, etc. without installing anything on the computer or leaving any files, cookies or traces behind on the computer.

Combine that with a messaging service which sends an sms when new e-mail arrives (I believe ureach.com does that) and you have a cheaper alternative to the $70/month service.

[Edited at 2008-02-19 10:14]
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
How to deal with emails while outside your office? Feb 19, 2008

Answer when you're back in your office

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to deal with emails while outside your office?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »