Mobile menu

Can you use a Blackberry in Suriname, South America?
Thread poster: Lucinda
Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:09
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Feb 18, 2008

I am located in Suriname, South America and also am away from my home a good part of the day. I was wondering if I can use a blackberry in Suriname.

Can you use them to check email anywhere in the world?

Would anyone have information on that?

This may be a dumb question, but bear with me. I am not so cellphone and mobile internet savvy.

Best regards,
Lucinda

Direct link Reply with quote

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Check with the phone company Feb 18, 2008

Hi Lucinda

The best people to check are the local cellphone stores. Go in and test out what they have to offer. Resist the temptation to buy a phone abroad just because it's cheaper because it may be the wrong one.

Jamaica tends to be a little different to Guyana and Suriname one these things, but I am happy to inform you that Blackberries work very well here when bought through Digicel or another company locally. Some people swear by them. My husband bought one in the States though and it doesn't work all that well here - hence my suggestion that you check things out locally first.

My advice is to go shopping locally and ask lots of qestions, no matter how silly they may seem. A Blackberry wil cost you an arm and a leg in local currency so anybody wishing to sell you one had better answer all your queries if they want their sales commission!!

Good luck.

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:09
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good advice, Islander Feb 19, 2008

Dear Islander,

Thank you! That is all excellent advice. I will check it out. We also have Digicel here. They are a relative new provider.

Best regards from rainy Suriname.

Lucinda

Armando Diaz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on the service providers Feb 19, 2008

It depends a lot on the service provider and the type of cell phone services available to the public.

You could buy a Blackberry and have use to some of its functions, but be warned that not all Blackberry functions may be supported in all countries, so do not expect it.

The best thing to do is also ask the local cell phone providers the services they do provide and to check with them if the particular model of blackberry is supported in the country

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you use a Blackberry in Suriname, South America?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs