Getting paid
Thread poster: stephanieL
stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
Feb 29, 2008

Hi all

I am going to be working on a translation and I am not quite sure what the procedure is to demand payment. Do I just email an invoice with my bank details? There is no contract involved either. Someone at a company I did an assignment for some time ago just contacted me for a translation.

Thank you.

Stephanie

Kornelia Longoria
Kornelia Longoria  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:48
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Previous assignment Feb 29, 2008

How did you get paid for the previous assignment?

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:48
Russian to English
+ ...
Talk to your client Feb 29, 2008

Apparently they haven't sent you the text for translation or a purchase order. If you're certain that the source text will eventually arrive (e.g., they told you that they're writing it right now), call them (or write them) and ask about this. If you aren't, insist on getting this information before you start.

stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Still unsure Feb 29, 2008

Kornelia - I was employed by the company during that assignment - I was a regular employee not a freelancer.

Paul - I know what I am going to translate - in part. I don't think they are going to send me a purchase order. They just asked me to let them know how they should settle the bill.

Thank you.

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:48
Russian to English
+ ...
Next step Mar 1, 2008

stephanieL wrote:

Paul - I know what I am going to translate - in part. I don't think they are going to send me a purchase order. They just asked me to let them know how they should settle the bill.

Thank you.

At this point, you find a way that would be convenient to you and propose that to them. If it's acceptable, they'll settle the bill that way. If not, ask them to suggest something else.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:48
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You send an invoice Mar 1, 2008

Hi Stephanie,

You send an invoice, containing the following details:

Your name, address, telephone number, etc.
Their name, address, telephone number, etc.
Date of invoice
Date by which the invoice should be paid (e.g. 30 days from date of invoice)
Brief description of work carried out (language pairs, type of document, parties if applicable)
Their reference or project number (if they have one)
Number of words
Word price
T
... See more
Hi Stephanie,

You send an invoice, containing the following details:

Your name, address, telephone number, etc.
Their name, address, telephone number, etc.
Date of invoice
Date by which the invoice should be paid (e.g. 30 days from date of invoice)
Brief description of work carried out (language pairs, type of document, parties if applicable)
Their reference or project number (if they have one)
Number of words
Word price
Total price
Your bank account details

Astrid
Collapse

Carlos Umaña
Carlos Umaña  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed Mar 2, 2008

I think Astrid's input is quite valuable, as invoice formats must be as complete as possible in every respect, so as to avoid any delays (sometimes bad payers may contact you 30 days after the invoice was sent saying that they needed more information, and delay the payment even further). This will also prove to be helpful when one is carrying out one's personal controls.

Furthermore, even if we must always be respectful with our clients and it is our duty to make the effort to accom
... See more
I think Astrid's input is quite valuable, as invoice formats must be as complete as possible in every respect, so as to avoid any delays (sometimes bad payers may contact you 30 days after the invoice was sent saying that they needed more information, and delay the payment even further). This will also prove to be helpful when one is carrying out one's personal controls.

Furthermore, even if we must always be respectful with our clients and it is our duty to make the effort to accomodate to their needs to some degree, it is a mistake to be too permissive with them. We must also demand a professional and respectful treatment in return, and hence it is important to establish the terms of payment early on in the relationship. One may not want to seem demanding with one's clients, especially when one wants to win them over, but this will actually speak well of the freelancer, giving out the message that the project is handled with the formality it requires.

[Edited at 2008-03-02 13:50]
Collapse

stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Mar 3, 2008

Thank you all!

I'm going to email them an invoice - but does it matter that there are no signatures anywhere? I am not worried about not getting paid as I worked for this company last year and I am sure I won't have any problems. It's just so that I learn and do things properly as a freelancer.

Thank you.

steph

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:48
Swedish to English
+ ...
Which jurisdiction are we talking about? Mar 3, 2008

stephanieL wrote:
does it matter that there are no signatures anywhere?

In my daytime job,I work for a global financial company. Every time we expand into a new territory we have to a KYC. For Sweden, which is my territory, the answer to your question is no. Contracts in Sweden do not need a "wet signature" (there are, however, other requirements as we provide financial services).

If your client is in Italy, I have a feeling a "wet signature" might be needed for a contract to be valid (please note this is only my educated guess, derived from seeing the amount of documentation we require from our Italian clients).

Check what rules regarding validity of contracts apply in both your client's jurisdiction and your own.

Glossary:
KYC - Know Your Customer, including the legal requirements in their jurisdiction
wet signature - old-fashioned signature on paper or parchment

Ie Ling Arnett
Ie Ling Arnett  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:48
English to Indonesian
+ ...
signature Mar 4, 2008

stephanieL wrote:

I'm going to email them an invoice - but does it matter that there are no signatures anywhere?

Hi,

I'm a full-time freelance translator. I never sign my invoices. The only time the clients need my signature is for my W-1099 and agreement.

stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Mar 7, 2008

Thank you for your replies. I am working for a French client. I guess they will let me know if they require anything to be signed etc.

Stephanie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting paid

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »