Improving recycled segments
Thread poster: CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 20:02
Jul 29, 2016

I found this approach interesting:

The way I deal with these discounts is that I have an internal target for hourly payment. For each job, I quickly fill in a small spreadsheet with the counts in the various match categories. For each category, the spreadsheet shows me how much time I should spend on them. I start doing all the discounted segments. That way, I can easily track that I don't spend significantly more time on them than what they pay for. It means recycled segments may not be optimal when finished, but I won't let outright errors pass.

Source: http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/304994-agency_nibbling_at_my_rate.html

The interesting part is for me in the last sentence. Whenever I have to deal with partially translated projects, possibly with legacy TMs (and if so, they were built over the years by several translators with different styles and wordings), then I find CafeTran's feature to simultaneously find and replace both in the current project and in the assigned TMs extremely handy to correct misspelled words and incorrect terms on the fly: correct them in the opened segment and fix them automatically in the rest of the project and in the TM:

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 09.04.21

And when further down in the project a Fuzzy Match is suggested or inserted, the typo or wrong term has already been corrected. I find this very time saving. I wouldn't want to miss it anymore. In fact, it's for me the only acceptable way to build upon somebody else's work.

[Edited at 2016-07-29 07:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improving recycled segments

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »