How to export translated text directly into Excel source file?
Thread poster: David Büchli
David Büchli
David Büchli  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:20
English to Dutch
Aug 2, 2016

Hello,

When translating from an Excel file, CafeTran creates a new Excel file with the translated texts. When finished, I then have to copy-paste the translated texts into the source file before I can send it back to the client.

Is it possible to have CafeTran export the translated texts directly into a different column (I do not want to replace the original text) in the Excel source file?

Many thanks for your help!

David

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Yes this is very well possible Aug 2, 2016

David Büchli wrote:

Is it possible to have CafeTran export the translated texts directly into a different column (I do not want to replace the original text) in the Excel source file?

David

Sure, this is possible. Click on the Filter tab in the project configuration tab and insert the letter for the Extra column in the appropriate field.

David Büchli
Germany
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Still doesn't work: CafeTran created new file without translations Aug 2, 2016

Thanks for your answer. However, I tried it and it doesn't seem to work. I have entered C as the desired output column in the source file.
Capture

CafeTran created a new file (as before) without any translation whatsoever (so identical to the source file).

I am sure I am doing something wrong in the settings, just don't know what exactly.

Thanks again.

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Specify import column too Aug 2, 2016

Hi David,

When you create a new Excel project, please type the letter of the Import source column and the free Export column in the respective fields.

Igor

David Büchli
Germany
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Solved! Aug 2, 2016

It works now exactly as I wanted, thanks so much!

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
I was just about ... Aug 3, 2016

To post this. Well, anyway, I just do it, for reference's sake.

One
Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 08.27.47

Two
Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 08.28.49

Three
Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 08.29.26

David Büchli
Germany
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Same, but now for a table in an MS Word source file Aug 19, 2016

Me again! Same question basically, but now the source file is an MS Word file with a table.

How can I export the translated texts directly into the right column of the table in MS Word source file?

Thanks!

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Is nie mogelijk nie Aug 19, 2016

David Büchli wrote:

Me again! Same question basically, but now the source file is an MS Word file with a table.

How can I export the translated texts directly into the right column of the table in MS Word source file?

Thanks!

Het spijt je te moeten vertellen:

This isn't possible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to export translated text directly into Excel source file?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »