My first CAT Tool => Does anybody use CafeTran Espresso here ?
Thread poster: Pep1990
Pep1990
Pep1990  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 12:32
German to Italian
+ ...
Nov 4, 2016

Hello !

I'm doing translations as a freelancer since beginning of this year.

Until now, i did translations without any software. Only with websites like linguee, wordreference and some dictionnaries that i've bought.

I would like to buy myself a CAT Tool. I saw some YouTube video about SDL Trados and MemoQ but i do not have the budget for those programs.

I've installed yesterday the CafeTran Espresso trial on my PC. It seems to be simple to use
... See more
Hello !

I'm doing translations as a freelancer since beginning of this year.

Until now, i did translations without any software. Only with websites like linguee, wordreference and some dictionnaries that i've bought.

I would like to buy myself a CAT Tool. I saw some YouTube video about SDL Trados and MemoQ but i do not have the budget for those programs.

I've installed yesterday the CafeTran Espresso trial on my PC. It seems to be simple to use but the automatic translations that the program shows me aren't good at all. Like Google translation but slightly better. The good thing is that you can have linguee for example in a little window on the left side of the program in order to avoid minimizing CafeTran and open Internet Explorer.

But i thought that a CAT Tool would give as a more or less good translation of the sentence in order to help us translate quicker. Did i have a wrong idea of CAT Tools in General ? Or is it CafeTran that isn't as good as SDL Trados ? Or maybe i'm using it wrong ?

Thank you for reading my post & i hope that someone can help me.

Kind Regards,

Giuseppe
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Quality In = Quality Out Nov 5, 2016

Pep1990 wrote:

But i thought that a CAT Tool would give as a more or less good translation of the sentence in order to help us translate quicker. Did i have a wrong idea of CAT Tools in General ?

A CAT tool basically works via the principle:

Quality In = Quality Out

When you have created good glossaries and have correctly translated a lot of sentences, you'll start getting quality back from your CAT tool. A CAT tool can only help you with good suggestions, if it has received good input. There still doesn't exist a magic feature to create high-quality translations from nothing.

[Edited at 2016-11-05 09:32 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:32
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think the explanation makes it even more confusing for a CAT tool newbie Nov 5, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

Pep1990 wrote:

But i thought that a CAT Tool would give as a more or less good translation of the sentence in order to help us translate quicker. Did i have a wrong idea of CAT Tools in General ?

Quality In = Quality Out

When you have created good glossaries and have correctly translated a lot of sentences, you'll start getting quality back from your CAT tool. A CAT tool can only help you with good suggestions, if it has received good input. There still doesn't exist a magic feature to create high-quality translations from nothing.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Machine Translation Nov 5, 2016

jyuan_us wrote:

CafeTran Training wrote:

Pep1990 wrote:

Quality In = Quality Out

Sorry to read that. But I've interpreted the OP's question as whether Machine Translation is useable (already). Is this a wrong interpretation?

Perhaps the OP is actually looking for an MT-ish solution like LILT? See: https://vimeo.com/171527977

[Edited at 2016-11-05 10:20 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Thank God... Nov 5, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

A CAT tool can only help you with good suggestions, if it has received good input. There still doesn't exist a magic feature to create high-quality translations from nothing.

... despite all the talk about adaptive MT and how human-like quality levels are around the corner I've been hearing recently...

Pep1990 wrote:
But i thought that a CAT Tool would give as a more or less good translation of the sentence in order to help us translate quicker.

As CafeTran was saying, a CAT Tool won't produce good quality translation out of nothing (otherwise we would all be out of work)... CAT tools and machine translation are two completely different things, although MT can be used in CAT tools, but, in general, the quality of MT is what you've seen yourself (more or less).

Actually, if we're talking about taking machine translations and polish them to make them sound more "human", that's called "machine translation post-editing", which is actually different from translation (and is paid less, if you're willing to do it).

IMO, the real value of a CAT tool lies in the fact you are able to build translation memories and glossaries while you're working on a project, and then reuse them while working on other projects. This helps you keep your translations consistent and to leverage "segments" (or "translation units") you have already translated, which in turn can boost your translation speed. Sometimes a client might offer you a project that comes with already existing memories (and glossaries), in which case you will be using resources created by others (and you will be probably be paid less for that...).

At any rate, Giuseppe, you could also take a look at OmegaT, as it's free.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
To put it simply Nov 6, 2016

Giuseppe, a CAT tool is just a sort of aid for a translator. It's not supposed to translate for you, but help you translate.
The main idea is to build your own databases of translations, referred to as translation memories, and then use them in future translations.
If you ask about the benefits of a CAT tool:
- most of them try to retain the original formatting
- they build translation memories and use them to suggest to you sentences or phrases from your PREVIOUS transla
... See more
Giuseppe, a CAT tool is just a sort of aid for a translator. It's not supposed to translate for you, but help you translate.
The main idea is to build your own databases of translations, referred to as translation memories, and then use them in future translations.
If you ask about the benefits of a CAT tool:
- most of them try to retain the original formatting
- they build translation memories and use them to suggest to you sentences or phrases from your PREVIOUS translations
- they have an option to use your own termbase- a glossary of terms you often use (as opposed to translation memories that save all your translated segments automatically, a termbase stores only the words you want it to store)
- most of them use machine translation engines which serve only as an additional help, because as you have found out the translation by mt is only partially acceptable (some words or phrases)
- they use a range of additional functionalities to help you translate faster (autocompletion, autotranslation of language specific units of measure etc., built-in dictionaries, autocorrection, spell checks, built in browsers with various language resources).
As you can see, it's something like an Adobe software for a graphics artist, but it doesn't create pictures by itself.

[Edited at 2016-11-06 14:59 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Does CafeTran give MT matches out of the box? Nov 6, 2016

Pep1990 wrote:
The automatic translations that the program shows me aren't good at all. Like Google translation but slightly better.

It sounds as if CafeTran is giving him machine translation matches. Does CafeTran give MT matches out of the box, with no additional setting up?

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
MyMemory Nov 6, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

Pep1990 wrote:
The automatic translations that the program shows me aren't good at all. Like Google translation but slightly better.

It sounds as if CafeTran is giving him machine translation matches. Does CafeTran give MT matches out of the box, with no additional setting up?

Yes, it offers suggestions from MyMemory.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My first CAT Tool => Does anybody use CafeTran Espresso here ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »