ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:28
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 28, 2016

Hello,
I just finished my very first translation on Cafetran (not the final version, some changes still have to be made) and wanted to preview my target document. So I clicked on "preview current document" (under Project) but nothing happens. What did I do wrong?
Thanks for your help,
Irene

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sdlxliff Nov 28, 2016

Well, I saw that the preview works if the original is a .doc document, but is there any way to preview an original Sdlxliff document?
Thanks for your comments,
Irene

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Not possible Nov 28, 2016

ibz wrote:

Well, I saw that the preview works if the original is a .doc document, but is there any way to preview an original Sdlxliff document?
Thanks for your comments,
Irene

Only in Studio

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 28, 2016

Thank your for your answer!
Irene

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Check not possible? Nov 28, 2016

So there's no way to check that the translation actually looks fine on Trados?

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Target preview in CafeTran projects Nov 28, 2016

Hi Irene,

The program cannot generate the target document out of the bilingual project created in another translation tool. It can do it for CafeTran projects.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No live preview feature Nov 28, 2018

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

Hi Irene,

The program cannot generate the target document out of the bilingual project created in another translation tool. It can do it for CafeTran projects.

And as far as I see, there is no live preview feature either. Therefore, in order to see how the text will look like in the target document, you need to actually export the document you are translating every time you want to check formatting, right?

Should this be the case, I definitely see a room for improvement here.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Deluxe Version Nov 28, 2018

Merab Dekano wrote:

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

Hi Irene,

And as far as I see, there is no live preview feature either. Therefore, in order to see how the text will look like in the target document, you need to actually export the document you are translating every time you want to check formatting, right?

Should this be the case, I definitely see a room for improvement here.

Perhaps a deluxe version could be offered (at a higher price), offering integration of Aspose?

See: https://products.aspose.com/words/java

How much would such a preview feature be worth to you, if at all?

Edit: Actually, 'Deluxe' wouldn't be a good name, neither would 'Pro' or 'Advanced' be, since CafeTran Espresso 2019 already deserves these qualifications in its current state.

BTW: Besides the MS-Word document preview, integration of Aspose would offer support for some additional file formats (though some of them aren't that important anymore, like .DOC):

Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 08.56.53

[Edited at 2018-11-28 07:57 GMT]

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Preview Nov 28, 2018

I would very much appreciate the possibility to see preview of non-Cafetran projects as well. Maybe Igor could be tempted to provide this in a future version ...?

Tineke Pockelé

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Target document live preview, sure, but for external projects? Nov 28, 2018

Is this even possible? I mean it would be great, of course, but this would mean a CAT tool can export bilingual files created in another tool, which is not possible, at least to my knowledge.

Does anyone know a CAT tool that offers these two features?

CAT tool interoperability lets you work on external files, but it has its limits. Translators should strive to work on native files whenever possible.

Still, if a live target file preview was to be implemented
... See more
Is this even possible? I mean it would be great, of course, but this would mean a CAT tool can export bilingual files created in another tool, which is not possible, at least to my knowledge.

CAT tool interoperability lets you work on external files, but it has its limits. Translators should strive to work on native files whenever possible.

Still, if a live target file preview was to be implemented in CafeTran, be it only for word files, it would be an extremely welcome feature.

There may be other non-paid cross-platform offline solutions that are compatible with Java apart from the paid online API Hans has suggested, although not being a developer I cannot evaluate them myself.

At least I remember seeing some for exporting files to an image file, which could then be displayed as a target preview.

Jean

PS: I consider it crucial to explore offline solutions first.

[Edited at 2018-11-28 18:46 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Not possible Nov 28, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Still, if a live target file preview was to be implemented in CafeTran, be it only for word files, it would be an extremely welcome feature.

There may be other non-paid cross-platform offline solutions that are compatible with Java apart from the paid online API Hans has suggested, although not being a developer I cannot evaluate them myself.

At least I remember seeing some for exporting files to an image file, which could then be displayed as a target preview.

Jean

PS: I consider it crucial to explore offline solutions first. While

[Edited at 2018-11-28 16:51 GMT]

No, it’s not possible to export XLIFF or bilingual files from any other CAT tool than the originating one. Just like you assumed.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Offline First Nov 28, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

There may be other non-paid cross-platform offline solutions that are compatible with Java apart from the paid online API Hans has suggested

Perhaps I’ve caught the wrong URL, but I was referring to an offline solution. The same as in mQ and Wf, BTW.

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
Then yes Nov 28, 2018

Perhaps I’ve caught the wrong URL, but I was referring to an offline solution. The same as in mQ and Wf, BTW.

My bad, I may have misunderstood the information on the landing page.

In that case, I second the product suggestion. This feature could justify a price bump.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's a standard feature. Nov 28, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:

How much would such a preview feature be worth to you, if at all?

First of all, I’d like to mention that having explored the program quite a lot I consider CafeTran a decent tool; the more you learn how to use it the more you like it.

However, live preview feature is standard in major CAT tools (DVX, Trados, memoQ). Of course I can live without it, but I have to confess I am used to it and it’s nice to have. What is not nice to have is having to export the document every time you need to check where this or that piece of text fits. Again, you can open the source file and look up the passage or you can “preview” the document exporting it every time you need to.

If CafeTran competes with major CAT tools, it needs to have at least the same (or very similar) features. As Jean pointed out, live preview would be a nice feature to be considered for future development. And I don’t think it has to be an extra o premium feature, for it’s standard on other major CAT tools.

By the way, the "pane" that appears on the left, the one that has the segments numbered, has very little use, if any. Live preview could be displayed there. Segment numbers could be moved to the editing pane (I know I am messing up the exact names of the panes, but I am sure you understand what pane I am talking about).

[Edited at 2018-11-28 22:26 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
Source text preview (for native AND external projects) Nov 29, 2018

That being said, if the main purpose of the preview is to see exactly where the translation will fit in without having to keep the source file open or search through the exported target file, you don’t necessarily need a live target text preview (although it will definitely be a welcome improvement also in this case), just a live preview.

CafeTran already offers two source preview features:

Resources > Source preview (HTML) and Source preview (website).

<
... See more
That being said, if the main purpose of the preview is to see exactly where the translation will fit in without having to keep the source file open or search through the exported target file, you don’t necessarily need a live target text preview (although it will definitely be a welcome improvement also in this case), just a live preview.

CafeTran already offers two source preview features:

Resources > Source preview (HTML) and Source preview (website).

Source preview (HTML):

This opens a new resource tab that shows the corresponding source file (in HTML format), and highlights the position of the current segment as it is being translated.

This completely offline method works particularly well for Microsoft Office and LibreOffice documents, since they can be exported to HTML.

It requires a simple additional step. Open your document in Microsoft Office or LibreOffice and export it as a Web Page (*.htm, *.html). Then open it via Resources > Source preview.

CafeTran opens this as a new tab, which you can arrange in all the ways tabs can be arranged in CafeTran (too many to mention).

This works for native AND external projects

For native projects, any opened HTML source preview is remembered across sessions if you close and reopen CafeTran or the project, so you don't have to repeat that step.

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000114872-source-document-preview-as-html-page

Source preview (website):

This lets you open a source preview via a web or cloud service such as Microsoft Office Live and Dropbox.

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000115264-source-document-preview-via-website

---

Tip: Merab, if you haven’t already, you might wish to explore the available Window layout options in the View menu. They offer different ways to organize your resources and CafeTran’s components (the Grid, the Tabbed pane, the Source and Target segment editors, the Matchboard - the latter is a tab, but should be visible at all times, whatever the layout you choose) depending on your preference, workflow, screen resolution, etc.

The Grid provides segments navigation and context, including some formatting indications for native documents (which is useful, although you may still wish to check the live preview for some documents), but also serves for project concordance search, filtering and find/replace operations, which is great.

Jean

[Edited at 2018-11-29 02:25 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preview target document

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »