MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 16:28
Italian to German
+ ...
Jan 22, 2017

Hi,
I have downloaded and installed the newest Java x64 version. Before installing it I have deactivated several older 32-Bit versions in the Java Panel, only the x64 version is activated. I then have downloaded and installed the newest version of CafeTran by first deleting the old c:\CafeTran Espresso folder.
The Help > About window in CafeTran shows: "1.8.0_111, Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM", thus an old 32-Bit version. How is that, did I uninstall incorrectly the old version?
... See more
Hi,
I have downloaded and installed the newest Java x64 version. Before installing it I have deactivated several older 32-Bit versions in the Java Panel, only the x64 version is activated. I then have downloaded and installed the newest version of CafeTran by first deleting the old c:\CafeTran Espresso folder.
The Help > About window in CafeTran shows: "1.8.0_111, Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM", thus an old 32-Bit version. How is that, did I uninstall incorrectly the old version?

If I understand well, I should work with the latest x64 because it is much faster when handling TMs etc.

Thanks,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-01-22 18:20 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:28
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Theory vs. reality Jan 23, 2017

Is your CafeTran build a 32-bit one or a 64-bit one? A 64-bit Java program simply will not run under a 32-bit JRE. A 32-bit program will run under a 64-bit JRE (provided, of course, that the host operating system is 64-bit too), but will hardly gain any productivity. Only running a 64-bit program under a 64-bit JRE may yield something as compared to a 32-bit program under a 32-bit JRE, but not necessarily something noticeable to a user.
... See more
Is your CafeTran build a 32-bit one or a 64-bit one? A 64-bit Java program simply will not run under a 32-bit JRE. A 32-bit program will run under a 64-bit JRE (provided, of course, that the host operating system is 64-bit too), but will hardly gain any productivity. Only running a 64-bit program under a 64-bit JRE may yield something as compared to a 32-bit program under a 32-bit JRE, but not necessarily something noticeable to a user.

For clean uninstalling of a JRE, try JavaRa.

[Edited at 2017-01-23 09:47 GMT]
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Deactivate vs Uninstall Jan 23, 2017

Hi Mike,

It looks like your operating system still uses the 32-bit Java by default despite deactivating it. Uninstalling the 32-bit Java versions might help here. After that, you might need to install the 64-bit Java version again to set it as the active Java. To check which Java is active:

1. Type "Command prompt" in Windows Start > Search box.
2. Type "java -version" in the black Command prompt window and check.

Igor

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I find out that my Javas are installed in different locations Jan 23, 2017

Hello Igor, esperantisto,
thank you both for your feedback.

@Igor,
When I enter java -version in the command prompt it tells me that Java x64 (which I have freshly installed) is used.

@esperantisto,
how do I find out if CafeTran is x32 or x64? The download file is named CafeTran-install.jar and the file Details do not tell this.

I notice that all my Java x32 are installed in Progamme (x86) folder, instead the new Java x64 is installed in "
... See more
Hello Igor, esperantisto,
thank you both for your feedback.

@Igor,
When I enter java -version in the command prompt it tells me that Java x64 (which I have freshly installed) is used.

@esperantisto,
how do I find out if CafeTran is x32 or x64? The download file is named CafeTran-install.jar and the file Details do not tell this.

I notice that all my Java x32 are installed in Progamme (x86) folder, instead the new Java x64 is installed in "Programme" (the english equivalent of 'Program Files').
What I have done now is I have renamed the Java folder of Programme (86) in 'BACKUP_Java'. If I want now to open CafeTran, Windows asks me which executable to open CafeTran; the 'java.exe' from Java\Programme\jre1.8.0_121\bin does not open CafeTran, which one is it?

Thanks,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-01-23 16:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-01-23 17:09 GMT]
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm going to remove all Javas and re-install the x64 only... Jan 23, 2017

... but I hope I don't have too many programs on my system that require some x32 ones, else I will have to re-install them and hope the above problem will not show-up again (that CafeTran will stay with the x64 Java.)

[EDIT]
It works, CT shows the correct Java on start. One of my programs uses to work with Java 6, but the current Java is backward-compatible. Problem solved.

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-01-23 18:24 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:28
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
32 vs. 64 bit Jan 23, 2017

Normally, the download page should tell you if the program is 32- or 64-bit. When no such information, it is most probably 32-bit.

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:28
32 versus 64 bit Jan 23, 2017

esperantisto wrote:

For clean uninstalling of a JRE, try JavaRa.

[Edited at 2017-01-23 09:47 GMT]

That applies to most software, but not Java: with Java, you don't compile the software for any specific processor (like a 64 bit Intel one, or the 32 bit ARM in a lot of mobile devices) - it's all just "Java virtual machine", which gets translated as needed into whatever your system needs. That way, they can produce a single program for everyone, which will run on Macs, Intel PCs, ARM mobile devices and everything else unchanged. (That's the theory, anyway; of course, it doesn't always work properly in practice!)

In this case, CafeTran seems to come as a simple JAR (Java ARchive) file, which runs under whichever version of Java Windows "knows about" - in this case, that happened to be an old 32 bit version until Mike deleted that, after which reinstalling the current 64 bit one replaced it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wrong Java version shown in Help-About window

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »