NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 03:39
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Apr 8, 2003

Good evening to all,

I\'ve read some forum postings regarding how to do this in Word but somehow it\'s not the same in CorelDraw 11.

My French Canadian keyboard refuses to remain in place when editing in CorelDraw (new to me, today, this porgram). So I tried the one ASCII symbol I know, Alt 130, and Voilà! é. Great. But as we all know, French is comprised of many more accented letters than this ubitiquitous one.

The tools-language menu is no
... See more
Good evening to all,

I\'ve read some forum postings regarding how to do this in Word but somehow it\'s not the same in CorelDraw 11.

My French Canadian keyboard refuses to remain in place when editing in CorelDraw (new to me, today, this porgram). So I tried the one ASCII symbol I know, Alt 130, and Voilà! é. Great. But as we all know, French is comprised of many more accented letters than this ubitiquitous one.

The tools-language menu is no help; I key in French, made it the default language, apply; when I go to type, Poof! back to US eng. Same with Fr Canadian.

My toolbar at the bottom has been automatically switched to En; I changed it back to Fr, began to type, and Poof! Back to En she goes.

Under Symbol, they have characters for Eastern Europe and Vietnamese, but nothing useful for the French typist, except for ä and â.

But the Alt+130 worked. I wonder if the other Ascii characters would too, and if so where do I obtain the list?

Thanks for any advice you could give me.

[ This Message was edited by: NancyLynn on 2003-04-08 22:32]
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 03:39
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Answer NOT found Apr 8, 2003

I thought I had found a link for anyone needing an ASCII list :

http://www.ramsch.org/martin/uni/fmi-hp/iso8859-1.html

But in CorelDraw, for instance I needed É for ÉCROU, one of my favourite words of late... but when I typed in the code given in the above-mentioned list, I got +.

I guess for now
... See more
I thought I had found a link for anyone needing an ASCII list :

http://www.ramsch.org/martin/uni/fmi-hp/iso8859-1.html

But in CorelDraw, for instance I needed É for ÉCROU, one of my favourite words of late... but when I typed in the code given in the above-mentioned list, I got +.

I guess for now I will do it the European way, but I really could use a list, or some kind of hint as to how to accent my vowels!

I hope you can help.

Good evening!

[ This Message was edited by: NancyLynn on 2003-04-08 23:17]
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:39
Flemish to English
+ ...
Contact the E>Swe Moderator Apr 9, 2003

If I am not mistaken Mats Wiman posted such a list on this forum.

General Question: How does Corel Draw relates to translation assignments?

I am reading the manual and do not see the relationship between the program and translation assignments containing say 2000 words?

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:39
English to French
Try this... Apr 9, 2003

ASCII codes, always useful:

www.purebasic.com/french/documentation/Reference/ascii.html

That should do it. Yes, you can input special characters by using ASCII codes virtually everywhere.

About CorelDraw, it\'s a relatively popular DTP interface. Don\'t worry, Willianson, you can get a sh.t lot more then 2000 words. There are people insane enoug
... See more
ASCII codes, always useful:

www.purebasic.com/french/documentation/Reference/ascii.html

That should do it. Yes, you can input special characters by using ASCII codes virtually everywhere.

About CorelDraw, it\'s a relatively popular DTP interface. Don\'t worry, Willianson, you can get a sh.t lot more then 2000 words. There are people insane enough to make full brochures on that.

As far as setting French as THE language in CorelDraw, it\'s a little tricky to say what\'s wrong because I don\'t have that problem. I use CD9 and CD10, not 11, though, but I would be surprised if that was so much of a change.

In my good ol\' 10 (or 9), ya just go to text/writing tools, select the buton \"show available language only\" (those set up at install time) and providing French is on the list, you just select it, click on \"save as default\" and OK.

I guess that\'s what you did, more or less. Perhaps you did not install French support when you did your install, althought that sounds mighty strange
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:39
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
check your key map Apr 9, 2003

from the Start menu > Programs > Accesories > System Utilities > Key Map (I\'m translating these menu items from my Italian system, might be a bit different than how I quote them here; this is called Mappa Caratteri in Italian). You can scroll through the list, click on the character you want, copy it from here and paste it in your application; and you can check out the alt code for each selected character in the bottom right corner; i.e. Capital E Acute is Alt+0201.

HtH,

rob
... See more
from the Start menu > Programs > Accesories > System Utilities > Key Map (I\'m translating these menu items from my Italian system, might be a bit different than how I quote them here; this is called Mappa Caratteri in Italian). You can scroll through the list, click on the character you want, copy it from here and paste it in your application; and you can check out the alt code for each selected character in the bottom right corner; i.e. Capital E Acute is Alt+0201.

HtH,

roberta
Collapse

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:39
English to French
+ ...
Minute, papillon Apr 11, 2003

Bonjour, Nancy

J\'ai l\'impression que tout le monde confond système opérationnel et logiciel.

L\'accentuation, dans quelque langue que ce soit, dépend de Windows et pas du tout du logiciel (Word, Corel Draw, et autres).

J\'utilise depuis des années des ordinateurs fabriqués au Brésil, avec Windows en portugais, et un tas de logiciels brésiliens (Office), français (Le Grand Robert, l\'Encyclopédie Larousse), américains (Pai
... See more
Bonjour, Nancy

L\'accentuation, dans quelque langue que ce soit, dépend de Windows et pas du tout du logiciel (Word, Corel Draw, et autres).

J\'utilise depuis des années des ordinateurs fabriqués au Brésil, avec Windows en portugais, et un tas de logiciels brésiliens (Office), français (Le Grand Robert, l\'Encyclopédie Larousse), américains (Paint Shop) et je n\'ai absolument aucun problème pour écrire des lettres accentuées directement depuis mon clavier (du type Qwerty, de la marque Microsoft).

Ce qu\'il faut faire:

Ouvrir

1)Configurations

2) Panneau de contrôle (Control Panel)

3) Clavier (Keyboard)

4) Langue

Tu choisis une par une les langues avec lesquelles tu travailles et tu cliques sur le bouton Propriétés (Properties) et une petite fenêtre s\'ouvrira pour te demander de choisir le clavier correspondant à la langue choisie. Tu dois choisir le clavier USA - International.

Je travaille dans quatre langues: Français, espagnol, Portugais, et Anglais et je n\'ai aucun problème, ni aucun changement à effectuer, car la configuration du clavier est permanente.

L\'idée de sair avec le code ASCII serait une pure perte de temps et tu ne tiendrais pas le coup après deux phrases en français.

Comme tu peux le voir dans ce message, où il y a des accents et des cédilles. POur écrire bébé, par exemple, je saisis dans l\'ordre \"b\", l\'accent aigu (\'), \"e\" \"b\", accent aigu, \"e\".

POur ouvrir les guillements, je sais CTRL+ALT+CROCHET GAUCHE(LEFT BRACKET)et pour les fermer, CRTL+ALT+CROCHER DROIT (RGITH BRACKET}.

Bonne chance!

Si tu as besoin d\'aide, éris-moi à mon courriel personnel

Bruno Magne
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:39
English to French
Papillon toi même, et l'aut' he! Apr 11, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-11 04:56, Traduzir wrote:

Bonjour, Nancy

[...]

Bruno Magne

Pas tt à fait d\'accord. C\'est vrai que les la... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-11 04:56, Traduzir wrote:

Bonjour, Nancy

[...]

Bruno Magne

Pas tt à fait d\'accord. C\'est vrai que les langues installées sur le système sont normalement en cause, mais je suppose que Nancy travaille de temps en temps, ce qui veut dire que sa config marche pour word et autres, et que si le problème ne se pose pas dans Word et consors mais uniquement dans Corel, c\'est que le problème vient plus probablement d\'un réglage de Corel, pas du système.

Enfin, c\'est ce que je me dis.

De plus, Nancy précise que Corel change le clavier utilisé, donc inutile de rétablir le clavier à partir du système si Corel le change à chaque fois. ▲ Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:39
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Check the keyboard shortcuts for changing keyboard layout Jun 2, 2003

I just remembered I had something similar happening a few years ago, with FreeHand on the Mac: a standard FreeHand shortcut for zooming in had been assigned in the new MacOS to the "change keyboard layout" command. So whenever you tried to use that shortcut in FreeHand, instead of doing whatever you were expecting, it changed the keyboard layout and affected your text input.

Check what keyboard shortcut is assigned to your keyboard layouts (I'm using the Italian system so I cannot g
... See more
I just remembered I had something similar happening a few years ago, with FreeHand on the Mac: a standard FreeHand shortcut for zooming in had been assigned in the new MacOS to the "change keyboard layout" command. So whenever you tried to use that shortcut in FreeHand, instead of doing whatever you were expecting, it changed the keyboard layout and affected your text input.

Check what keyboard shortcut is assigned to your keyboard layouts (I'm using the Italian system so I cannot give you the exact path: somewhere in the Control Panel, where you set your language settings, button "Key Settings..."): you can change it or disable it.
HtH,
Roberta
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CorelDraw 11 and French Accents

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »