Thread poster: socratisv
socratisv
socratisv
Greece
French to Greek
+ ...
Apr 15, 2008

Hi there,
I was wondering how we can use OmegaT to translate/review Trados uncleaned documents. Did anyone experience to do this?
Thank you in advance,
Socrates

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:13
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No, you can't Apr 15, 2008

OmegaT's approach is different compared to Trados': OmegaT does not touch source document(s), so you can't produce any equivalent of Trados uncleaned files with OmegaT and you can't translate them.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 12:13
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OmegaT and TRADOS uncleaned files Apr 15, 2008

you can do the following:

i) create TMX files out of the bilingual files
ii) take TMX and the source to OmegaT

You will then go segment by segment through the source to fill up the project's TM - using TMX from i. This is in essence the export of a TRADOS project to the OmegaT environment.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:13
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
That'll require Trados, at least for the first step Apr 15, 2008

I believe, the asker's goal is to go along without Trados. There is something in the Files section of the OmegaT group in Yahoo (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/files/5-%20Macros%20and%20tools/Trados,%20WordFast%20etc%20compatibility/), but as far as I understand, that's a way to create Trados uncleaned files r... See more
I believe, the asker's goal is to go along without Trados. There is something in the Files section of the OmegaT group in Yahoo (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/files/5-%20Macros%20and%20tools/Trados,%20WordFast%20etc%20compatibility/), but as far as I understand, that's a way to create Trados uncleaned files rather than to process.

By the way, TMX files exported from Trados are sometimes unreadable in OmegaT.

[Редактировалось 2008-04-15 15:12]
Collapse

socratisv
socratisv
Greece
French to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 15, 2008

esperantisto wrote:

I believe, the asker's goal is to go along without Trados. There is something in the Files section of the OmegaT group in Yahoo (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/files/5-%20Macros%20and%20tools/Trados,%20WordFast%20etc%20compatibility/), but as far as I understand, that's a way to create Trados uncleaned files rather than to process.

By the way, TMX files exported from Trados are sometimes unreadable in OmegaT.

[Редактировалось 2008-04-15 15:12]

Thank you!
I have both cleaned and uncleaned .doc files and at the end would like to have an uncleaned file. It seems there's no way to do so...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Uncleaned Files in OmegaT

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »