Trados: advice on how to assemble a Multiterm database needed
Thread poster: Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Apr 14, 2003

A client sent me what looks like the constituent files of a Trados Multiterm database. Two subfolders (De & En) with four files each, with the ff. file extensions:

xxx.MD

xxx.MH0

xxx.MH1

xxx.MLS

Both subfolders contain identical files as listed above.

How do I compile/assemble these files to create a Multiterm database? Are these the constituent files of a Multiterm database?

Gratefu
... See more
A client sent me what looks like the constituent files of a Trados Multiterm database. Two subfolders (De & En) with four files each, with the ff. file extensions:

xxx.MD

xxx.MH0

xxx.MH1

xxx.MLS

Both subfolders contain identical files as listed above.

How do I compile/assemble these files to create a Multiterm database? Are these the constituent files of a Multiterm database?

Grateful in advance for clarifications.

Marcus
Collapse

FrancescoP
FrancescoP  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:38
English to Italian
+ ...
Trados Multiterm files Apr 14, 2003

[Edited at 2003-08-29 16:03]

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:38
English to German
+ ...
thats not MultiTerm Apr 14, 2003

I do not know these extensions, but the MultiTerm files have the extensions:

.mtw .mtl .mdf .mta .mtf

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm file extensions Apr 15, 2003

Thanks Harry, I thought so after reading the (asininely and un-intuitively written) help files. Does anyone else have the impression that learning to use Trados is one of the biggest obstacles to translation?

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:38
English to German
+ ...
tu parles.. Apr 15, 2003

before you start to learn the advanced features and procedures, I advise to learn WordFast, MetaTexis or Deja Vu as alternatives.

Your life will be happier

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:38
English to French
Advanced feature and procedure... Apr 15, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-15 06:53, Harry_B wrote:

before you start to learn the advanced features and procedures, I advise to learn WordFast, MetaTexis or Deja Vu as alternatives.

It\'s not because something is complex that it is \"advanced\", and that Trados thing is a gruesome bloatware.

... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-15 06:53, Harry_B wrote:

It\'s not because something is complex that it is \"advanced\", and that Trados thing is a gruesome bloatware.

That thing is unecessarily complex. 5 files+ the application just to use 1 glossary, and they talk about streamlined process!

However, I do second your advice. Unless forced at gun point, or intellectual masochism, there is no reason to engage in the Trados way. Collapse

AliG
AliG
Spain
Local time: 11:38
Spanish to English
Wordfast May 6, 2003

Does anyone use Wordfast? I\'m just beginning! I have received a multiterm file and am having trouble importing it - can anyone help? Txs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: advice on how to assemble a Multiterm database needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »