Is TRADOS worth the investment?
Thread poster: karine Richardson
karine Richardson
karine Richardson
Local time: 05:52
English to French
+ ...
May 8, 2003

I am considering buying the Trados software to speed up my work. Could anyone tell me what they think of it and whether it is easy to use or just another tool that needs a lot of fine tuning before you can actually use it.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:52
English to German
+ ...
IMO, yes May 9, 2003

Hi Karine,

I have been using Trados for about eight years, and would definitely answer \"yes\". But I\'m sure you\'ll also find quite a few contrarian opinions if you look at past threads.

As with other professional software packages, you will need training to fully grasp the functionality (note that the same applies to MS Word!).

Why don\'t you take a look at the ProZ.com CAT Center (go to \"Tools\") - there\'s a section called \"CAT Fight\" w
... See more
Hi Karine,

I have been using Trados for about eight years, and would definitely answer \"yes\". But I\'m sure you\'ll also find quite a few contrarian opinions if you look at past threads.

As with other professional software packages, you will need training to fully grasp the functionality (note that the same applies to MS Word!).

Why don\'t you take a look at the ProZ.com CAT Center (go to \"Tools\") - there\'s a section called \"CAT Fight\" where you can compare the ratings translators have assigned to various CAT tools.

HTH - Ralf
Collapse

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:52
Dutch to English
+ ...
Definitely May 9, 2003

But by all means check out the competition.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:52
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes... go for it! May 9, 2003

Hi,

Even though I am not one of those lucky ones, who install the software and are immediately able to use it without major troubles, I am happy I have invested money and time in Trados and in learning how to use it. I use other CATs as well, as IMHO each software has its strong and weak points (some prefer aligning with one CAT better than with another, while prefer translating with another one... it\'s a very personal choice..), but all of them were my investment worth, as
... See more
Hi,

Even though I am not one of those lucky ones, who install the software and are immediately able to use it without major troubles, I am happy I have invested money and time in Trados and in learning how to use it. I use other CATs as well, as IMHO each software has its strong and weak points (some prefer aligning with one CAT better than with another, while prefer translating with another one... it\'s a very personal choice..), but all of them were my investment worth, as they all help me a lot in saving time.

It might not look so at the beginning, when you still have to learn how to get the best out of a software, but soon you see the difference and once you have got used to work with a CAT, you won\'t work without it, even when a text isn\'t that long or ripetitive.

Giuliana

[addsig]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is TRADOS worth the investment?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »