Problem with TMXtract while attempting to compile TM from TGT data (European Commission)
Thread poster: Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Jul 31, 2008

Hi there,

Not sure whether it is the right forum, but since the result will be a TM, I thought I'd place it here. However, mods feel free to move this topic to wherever it seems more suitable.

Anyway, trying to retrieve the data from the TGT zip files and as far as I see, I am doing everything by the book. Everything (zips, dll and tmxtract.exe) is neatly in one folder but when I start tmextract.exe, I see an empty DOS window, followed by an error message telling me som
... See more
Hi there,

Not sure whether it is the right forum, but since the result will be a TM, I thought I'd place it here. However, mods feel free to move this topic to wherever it seems more suitable.

Anyway, trying to retrieve the data from the TGT zip files and as far as I see, I am doing everything by the book. Everything (zips, dll and tmxtract.exe) is neatly in one folder but when I start tmextract.exe, I see an empty DOS window, followed by an error message telling me something about an "illegal construction".

What am I doing wrong.

TIA
Wolfgang
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:39
English to Polish
+ ...
And TMxtract is part of what? Jul 31, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:
when I start tmextract.exe, I see an empty DOS window,

What am I doing wrong.

TIA
Wolfgang

What is TMextract? Is it free or commercial?

Piotr

Wolfgang Jörissen
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TMXtract Jul 31, 2008

Sorry, made a typo. It is definitely "tmxtract.exe" - a free tool which is exclusively used for retrieval of the data offered within the TGT corpus (hope I expressed that correctly).

Anyway, no commercial term extraction software or anything of that kind, if that is what you mean.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Missing DLL? Aug 1, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

Sorry, made a typo. It is definitely "tmxtract.exe" - a free tool which is exclusively used for retrieval of the data offered within the TGT corpus (hope I expressed that correctly).

Anyway, no commercial term extraction software or anything of that kind, if that is what you mean.

Do you have downloaded the Java library?
http://wt.jrc.it/lt/Acquis/DGT_TU_1.0/ExtractionTool/swt-win32-3218.dll

Cheers
GG

Wolfgang Jörissen
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I have Aug 1, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Do you have downloaded the Java library?
http://wt.jrc.it/lt/Acquis/DGT_TU_1.0/ExtractionTool/swt-win32-3218.dll

I have and it is in the same folder.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I think there's one more dll... Aug 1, 2008

from Bruxelles in the installation. You're dead in the water if it's not in the same subdirectory as TMXtract.

Maybe I show the wrong direction. In any case, there's nothing wrong with the installation I would say, because it worked in my case . A real stress case because of eventual size of the files and the translation memory - and of course much more because of its contents.

[Edited at 2008-08-01 12:10]

Wolfgang Jörissen
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My folder Aug 1, 2008

... looks like this:

swt-win32-3218.dll
TMXtract.exe
Volume_1.zip
Volume_12.zip
(none missing inbetween)

All of the zip files seem allright. Will have to try on a different machine.

Thanks anyway for confirming that it does work.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hint... Aug 1, 2008

A simple windows form comes up, where you can select things - had a VB 4.0-or-less look -. If you dont get it displayed, then there's something else wrong. When worse comes to worst I can dig out my archive and do it for you.

regards

Vito

Eli_Buch
Eli_Buch
English
Were you able to solve the problem??? Jun 4, 2009

I'm also interested in the possibility of extracting.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
try it then Jun 4, 2009

This thread is one year old, I think it's a safe bet that it has been resolved.

If you want the TM, visit the site (http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html), read and follow the instructions and, if you have a problem, come back here and post a detailed description of what you did and what went wrong.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes I was Jun 5, 2009

Eli_Buch wrote:

I'm also interested in the possibility of extracting.

Could solve the problem in the end, but not on that particular machine. Haven't got a clue why. But it worked flawlessly on another computer. Just try it yourself.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with TMXtract while attempting to compile TM from TGT data (European Commission)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »