Mobile menu

Success in making Dragon Speech Recognition Software work in your 2nd language?
Thread poster: Pristine
Pristine
Local time: 07:58
English to German
Aug 26, 2008

I bought Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition, the English version. I have a German accent and the software does not understand me well at all. 70 % of all words that I saw are misunderstood.

I used the speech trainer and programmed the simple word "Welcome" and Dragon still recorded it wrongfully "The come" after I tried it.

Also, I am using the microphone that came with the software but I have to holler in the microphone to make Dragon hear anything I say.

I am quite disappointed. I thought it would help me because I have a tendency to hit wrong keys and thought it would make my life easier.

Did any of you make it work?

Can you give me any tips?

Pristine

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:58
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Some tips Aug 27, 2008

As far as I know, there is a German version of DNS that includes the English version, all non-English versions include English. So you might want to get the German version. But DNS works well even for people with very thick accents; I tried the French version and I was very impressed by how well DNS did through my horrible French accent.

You can try using a high quality microphone, drop the one that comes in the box, it's not bad but it's not very good either. Also, check you sound settings, some computers have features like noise cancellation; check that the volume is set in the right level. Test your mic; record yourself to check that the mic is placed in the right position, maybe you need to move it. Finally, speak naturally; don't raise your voice. DNS will understand you better if you say each sentence with a natural inflection; don't pronounce each word separately. If you speak clearly and naturally, DNS should understand you even through your German accent.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Claudia

[Edited at 2008-08-27 01:03]

bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:58
English to French
+ ...
Very disappointed by English-as-second-language... Aug 27, 2008

I guess we could call ESL the English version which is delivered as second language with the non-English versions...
I am highly satisfied by the French version, but could not get much out of the ESL... I too thought it might be because of my accent (a mix of French, British and US accent...), but it certainly does not explain all. I have spent hours on initial training, without success. Moreover, what bothers me is that I cannot use the vocal commands : it obviously expects English commands, but I have only the French help... Without online corrections, Dragon cannot improve. Altogether, it was such a pain to enter even simple texts that I have dropped it and only use it in French.
I have a very good digital microphone. It does great for French, but does not solve the ESL problem.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:58
English to French
+ ...
I'm happy Aug 27, 2008

You seem to be having two very different problems, Pristine. One is based on settings and the other on training.

Having to holler at the microphone is something I've had to do when I first started using Dragon. Then, I fiddled with all the settings and now my microphone hears me 10-4 Roger.

About the accent problem, I've had the same problem as well. I have a very slight lisp and I speak Quebec French whereas Dragon was made for French French. It took a bit of time (a couple of weeks of training - or should I say taming? - the Dragon, about 20 hours a week) before it started to recognize about 99% of what I say.

If you only recently installed the software and only dictated a few hours so far, give it some time. Pets are hard to condition, right? Train your Dragon for a good sixty hours before drawing conclusions and don't be afraid to fiddle with your settings. You may discover that some of the more useful settings are not even set.

One last thing. Your pet Dragon is a very hungry creature and its favorite food is memory. It sometimes pigs out on RAM and leaves none for its more reasonable "colleagues". Some CAT tools (like Trados) also have a sweet tooth. So, when you party with your pet Dragon and have your CAT tool join you for the ride for more than a couple of hours, you may want to try restarting your computer. That often adds to the RAM supply your pet Dragon is so fond of, and fixes the speed/recognition/performance troubles for a few hours. I have 2Gb RAM, which is alright when using Dragon and Trados simultaneously, but I sometimes do need to restart.

All the best!

[Edited at 2008-08-27 04:02]

Pristine
Local time: 07:58
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Claudia, Victory and Bohy.... Aug 28, 2008

I guess I'll just make some more experiments.

Do you have a hand-held microphone, Claudia, or what kind of microphone are you using?

Best wishes,

Pristine

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:58
English to French
+ ...
I'm not Claudia, but... Aug 29, 2008

Although it's not the most comfortable or the best among headsets, I still use the headset that came with my copy of Dragon originally. Works fine for me.

[Edited at 2008-08-29 00:53]

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:58
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Plantronics Sep 3, 2008

Pristine wrote:

I guess I'll just make some more experiments.

Do you have a hand-held microphone, Claudia, or what kind of microphone are you using?

Best wishes,

Pristine

I don't remember the model number but I use a Plantronics headset ($25). I also used a Bluetooth headset (Motorola S9) which worked fantastically until the battery died.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Success in making Dragon Speech Recognition Software work in your 2nd language?

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs