Thread poster: Odette Grille

Odette Grille  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:48
English to French
+ ...
Oct 3, 2008

Hi,

I work with SDLX lite. Recently, I received a post-proof job to edit in Pdf. The TM the PM sent me was, as an icon, the usual heart with a feather. But I can only open a TM if I have an itd. Right ?

Tofind a way to read it, I then changed program and tried to open it with Adonbe, which changed the icon to an Adobe icon, alas to na avail.

So much for that TM, but the problem, now, is that when I receive zipped TMs for SDLX, they unzip in Adobe format and are impossible to open.

Help !

Though I am not a nerd and might thus prove it, I want to add that I also downloaded Wordfast the same day.
As I know (for having used it before) that Wordfast does modify some functions on my computer (like shortcuts), I wonder if IT could be cause of this problem. I doubt it but I am trying to find a way to revert to the old no problem unzipping SDLX TMs.
I supppose I might have to go to the zip preferences. Not sure if I can find them, but I'll try that while I wait for your answers.

I work under Windows XP

Thank you so much
Ode

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:48
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
*.itd file Oct 3, 2008

I sometime read contents of *.itd file in MS Word since *.itd file (after translation or SDLX TM) is in XLS Unicode format.

Regards,
SL

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ITD file Oct 3, 2008

Hi Soonthoon,

Thank you for taking an interest in helping me.
I could create a translation from the ITD TM only if I had the corresponding ITD file, which I don't.
And the PM has not answered my request for help, so I presume she figures I should know ???
Have a nice weekend !
Ode

FarkasAndras
Local time: 11:48
English to Hungarian
+ ...
stab in the dark Oct 4, 2008

I don't use SDLX so I don't have the specifics, but one thing is as sure as can be: the files are the same as they have always been. Disregard the icon.

I'm guesssing that you are trying to double click the files and expect them to launch SDLX, and they launch adobe whatever instead. What you need to do is right click on the file in your file manager of choice (may need a loooong right click) to bring up a local menu and choose "associate with" (not sure what the English name for the function is, my OS is Hungarian). Choose SDLX and that's it. You can set SDLX to be the default programme used for opening these files.

Alternatively, just launch SDLX and open the TM from its menu.

Sorry if I am off base here, and I know this doesn't help you open the offending TM without an itd.

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right click Oct 4, 2008

Hi Farkasandras,

You are exactly on target. I right-clicked and chose sdlx to open the said file ; got a pop-up saying 'unusual file format'

I have not tried your second suggestion yet. I will just now (heehee) and get back to you
Ode

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hey you big genius ! Oct 4, 2008

Dear FarkasAndras,

I did what you suggested. Opened sdlx, which opened the memory (in spite of Adobe icon) and then even offered to go directly to the corresponding ITD.

Magic !

Hey thanks. I owe you one !

Ode

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM format changed

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs