Anaviva  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 24, 2003

Hi Everyone

I'm trying to clean up a word file and the log gives me the following error:

Tagging error "(33203): The {0> mark for starting a translation unit is missing or damaged. " at offset 163840. Paragraph skipped!

I've tried the "Fix Document" option, but it doesn't solve the problem. Is there anyway of finding the exact location of the tag in the word file so that I can manually repair the tag? I guess it has something to do with the offset number?

Thanks in advance

Ana

Direct link Reply with quote

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
an idea Jun 24, 2003

This has happened to me several times. When you do the cleanup process, try to see until what percentage the process goes before reporting this error.
Then open your uncleaned file, place the cursor approximately where the problem occurs (if the process stops at 37% and your doc is 45 pages, then roughly at page 17). Open a translation segment after the other and close them one by one (using the "Set/Close Next Open/Get" button in the middle of the Trados toolbar). You cannot go past the problematic segment. (When you close a segment, WorkBench automatically jumps over the problematic one)
This particular problem that you described is caused by an extra paragraph mark INSIDE a translation segment. If you delete this paragraph mark, your problem is solved.

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:53
English to French
Look Jun 24, 2003

Ana D. wrote:

Hi Everyone

I'm trying to clean up a word file and the log gives me the following error:

Tagging error "(33203): The {0> mark for starting a translation unit is missing or damaged. " at offset 163840. Paragraph skipped!

I've tried the "Fix Document" option, but it doesn't solve the problem. Is there anyway of finding the exact location of the tag in the word file so that I can manually repair the tag? I guess it has something to do with the offset number?

Thanks in advance

Ana

Does it remove the other ones? It says "paragraph skipped". So if it removes the rest, no problem. Find it in word (Display hidden text, Ctrl+F, find {0> )Look at your segment delimiters, and correct them.

It should be: {0>sourcetarget(*)\(*)\

Anaviva  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks both of you Jun 24, 2003

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I tried Csaba\'s method before Sylver\'s was posted and it worked like a dream!

I\'m surprised that TRADOS hasn\'t designed anything to make it easier to identify problem tags though. One of the many mysteries of this program!

Thanks again.

Ana

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Take a look on the hidden chars Jun 24, 2003

Hello,

often you can see the problem if you make the hidden chars visible. Often translators destroy the segmentation structure, if they work on the word file without seeing the hidden chars. You can also use the word macro tw4winclean. After this cleanig you can search for chars with the tw4winMark or tw4winError style.

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Clean Up Problem

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs