Working on an Idiom export (.xlz) with Trados
Thread poster: Florent Bibasse
Florent Bibasse
Florent Bibasse
Local time: 05:30
English to French
Nov 21, 2008

Hi all
We've been working in Trados format (Word and TagEditor format) with a (major) client for a long time and now they want us to work with Idiom, but without the benefits of it: we have to work with xlz exports, we don't have access to the online tm concordance search and moreover, we can't anymore use our personalized Multiterm database (which we mostly use not for term search, but in order to avoid having to type many times always the same product/function names, etc.).
We'd lo
... See more
Hi all
We've been working in Trados format (Word and TagEditor format) with a (major) client for a long time and now they want us to work with Idiom, but without the benefits of it: we have to work with xlz exports, we don't have access to the online tm concordance search and moreover, we can't anymore use our personalized Multiterm database (which we mostly use not for term search, but in order to avoid having to type many times always the same product/function names, etc.).
We'd love to be able to work on the xlz files the client now sends us in Trados (Tageditor or --better-- Word).
We HAVE to deliver xlz files.
As the contents of those files are regular XML, this should not be a problem... But we're not too sure of how to do that.
I've made extensive searches but...
As I found many very useful answers on the proz forums about many different subjects in the past, I hope someone will be able to help us...
Regards,
Florent
Collapse

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 06:30
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
You can import and autotranslate, at least theoretically Nov 21, 2008

I've been thinking about not using that Idiom Worldserver Desktop Workbench, because the latest version that I have is lacking in many respects. The best that I could think of was to translate in some other tool, then export the TM in TBX format, import the TBX into IWDW and try automatic translation.
However, I still haven't found the time to try it. Not because I don't have that much time, but because I don't have that many texts that can easily be processed in that way. I feel the main
... See more
I've been thinking about not using that Idiom Worldserver Desktop Workbench, because the latest version that I have is lacking in many respects. The best that I could think of was to translate in some other tool, then export the TM in TBX format, import the TBX into IWDW and try automatic translation.
However, I still haven't found the time to try it. Not because I don't have that much time, but because I don't have that many texts that can easily be processed in that way. I feel the main problem would be segmentation. The texts I get are sometimes segmented in weird places. So after translating in another tool, where segmentation can be better controlled, some segments and translations in the TM may not match with the segments in the original IWDW project.
And then there is the other problem that it is not very clear what TBX format the software expects. This will also need some experimentation.
If you have the time to try out this approach, please share your findings. IWDW is really getting on my nerves and if I had the choice, I would never use it. Since I must use it, it would be great if I could limit the amount of my exposure to it.

[Edited at 2008-11-21 18:35 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working on an Idiom export (.xlz) with Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »