hi, how to do a translation in this tools?
Thread poster: kybernes23
kybernes23
kybernes23
Spanish to English
Dec 10, 2008

hi everybody, i am from mexico and im not a translator, but a english student , i dont know much english, but i will try to explain in my few english the problem i have, i just tried some cat tools these few days ago, but what i know is i want to make replacements of words automatically , so i spend a week trying to understand how to do that, at first i was trying to do it with microsoft word, but it was impossible, so the first thing that i thinked was to make a macro, but was so difficult to ... See more
hi everybody, i am from mexico and im not a translator, but a english student , i dont know much english, but i will try to explain in my few english the problem i have, i just tried some cat tools these few days ago, but what i know is i want to make replacements of words automatically , so i spend a week trying to understand how to do that, at first i was trying to do it with microsoft word, but it was impossible, so the first thing that i thinked was to make a macro, but was so difficult to understand visual basic.

so i tried open office, there is an option to add words and the suggestions, so when you run the spellchecker can choose the best option matching with the purpouse.
but is so difficulto go one by one.

so searching over internet i found the cat tools, i found a program that do exaclty what i want, edit pad pro,
so what i want to do is this, if i have a word into a document, lets say the word : "table" then if i want to change automatically for the word : "teibol" that is the fonetic sound of the word to me, of course no using ipa convention.
then, everytime that i write something into the document if there is the word table, then automatically change it for the word : teibol.
this is easy to do in this program i just have to write " table=teibol " and it's all, the program add this to the data base of it.

so i was doing that, the problem began when i tried to index many words, the program was running slow very slow, and when i added 23000 words and translations to fonetic, the program was frozen, and i was unable to add words. so was useless all my effort.

then i found omega T , i learned more or less how to use it, but the problem is that this program wants to take (UT) unit of translation, i guess is something like one sentence or phrase, so, does not work, because i want word by word.

finally i wanto to ask you, if there is someone who knows what cat tool can do translation from TM but word by word.
thanks so much, i hope i am in the right place.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Just "write over" in Word Dec 10, 2008

For your purpose CAT won't work, because translators do not translate word by word but whole entities of meaning (sentences, paragraphs). You could use Machine translation for your purpose and look what will be the result.
Or you might hire a human translator.

Regards
Heinrich

kybernes23
kybernes23
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 11, 2008

thankssssssss so muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
i really apreciate this answer, because i found a tool, machin translator.

thanks all heart.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

hi, how to do a translation in this tools?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »