https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/12400-duplicate_and_triplicate_entries_in_multiterm.html

Duplicate and "triplicate" entries in Multiterm
Thread poster: Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:44
English to French
Jul 6, 2003

Hi All, I just transferred a glossary in Multiterm, and TRADOS mentioned that no new entry was added.
I did it again, and now I have duplicate entries.
Is there a way to easily erase those duplicate or do I have to do it one at a time.
I have a total of 6000 entries.

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:44
English to German
+ ...
Duplicates Jul 7, 2003

Hi Louise,

I think the only way to get rid of duplicates is the export the whole database and to reimport it with the option "synchronize on index field".
To do so you need administrator rights for your database, the go to the Menu file, choose Define export, you'll get a dialogue window, there choose "load", then "browse". You have to look for the file backup.mdx in your Trados directory. Normally somwhere like C:\program files\Trados\T5\TT. When the file is loaded you just c
... See more
Hi Louise,

I think the only way to get rid of duplicates is the export the whole database and to reimport it with the option "synchronize on index field".
To do so you need administrator rights for your database, the go to the Menu file, choose Define export, you'll get a dialogue window, there choose "load", then "browse". You have to look for the file backup.mdx in your Trados directory. Normally somwhere like C:\program files\Trados\T5\TT. When the file is loaded you just close the dialogue.

Now you go once again under the menu File and you choose "Export All entries...". Name a file and everthing will be exported.

Next step it to create a new database with the same structure as you old one. Under File choose "Create new database" and do so.

The last step is to import into your newly created database. Under File you choose import and you get a dialogue window.
Under step three "Filter the import entry" you choose "Synchronize on index field". Now also the right part of the window becomes active but there normally you don't have to change everything. Under step 5 you'll have synchronize on "English" (when there is an English index field" and under "when termbase entry matches filter" you'll have "Combine with termbase entry". That will do the job. Just click OK.
Now MT will synchronize your entries. But it's not case-sensitive, that means dog and Dog will still be two entries.

good luck

Noe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Duplicate and "triplicate" entries in Multiterm

Translation news related to CAT tools

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »