How to determine code-page?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jan 1, 2009

Yesterday I thought I would try out a new piece of software. I loaded Swordfish and installed it. Step by step I followed the instructions of the user guide.
When I tried to convert a Word-doc to xlif-format, I had to select the character set of the source document. But how do I know what character set is used in a normal English or German Word document?
I selected Windows-12xx something (there are maybe a hundred alternatives) and tried to convert. But after a minute the software said, that the document is empty and there is nothing to translate. In fact there are 10000 words to be translated.
But every time I try to convert a document in Swordfish I have to select the right code-page. To me it seems outright stupid compared to the simple process of other CAT-software.

Direct link Reply with quote

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:21
English to Spanish
Use auto detection Jan 1, 2009

Save the file as .docx or RTF and Swordfish will detect the encoding automatically. Binary .doc format is not supported.

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:21
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Doc not supported in Swordfish Jan 1, 2009

If you want to translate an office document (office used here as a generic term), doc is not supported in Swordfish.

Either convert doc to docx (the MSO 2007 format), or RTF, or ODT (Openoffice Writer) format. Swordfish will then handle the code page alright.

Similar logic applies to xls and ppt files: convert to xlsx or pptx format, or their OpenOffice equivalents.

Swordfish also supports a less know Microsoft format very well, that is: resx (.NET resource files).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to determine code-page?

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs