What software do I need to read Japanese on -line?
Thread poster: Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
Local time: 00:53
Japanese to English
Jan 29, 2002

I want to get re-established in Japanese translation after a ten year break. There is a lot of technical stuff I don\'t know!! I have been offered Japanese word processing software Ichiro 6.3. Will this allow me to convert the code-like text I get from websites into real Japanese text? All advice most welcome.

Direct link Reply with quote

Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:53
German to English
+ ...
Several possibilities Jan 30, 2002

I am using several computers, and I can tell you that using Japanese on an English computer became easier to handle, but is still somtimes a pain in the butt, because it creates unexpected crashes.

First, if you only want to view web pages, you can use the \"NJStar Asian Explorer\", which is free (http://www.njstar.com/).

This company also has a reader, the \"NJStar CJK Viewer NJWin\" that, for example, allows you to read Japanese (or Korean or Chines) e-mails in your English Eudora or other e-mail client, though this is sometimes only possible with tricks, depending on the different coding.

Recently I have found that Windows also offers a module for Japanese (Japanese IME; you can download it from http://www.go-asia.net/netcafe/), which allows you not only to read Japanese websites with e.g. Netscape 6.0, but even write simple stuff, like e-mails in web-based e-mail clients like excite.co.jp\'s mail system and even in your English Word (!). I can switch now with \"Shift-ALt\" between German, English and Japanese!

It is not as slick as a regular Japanese WP, mainly because of the limitations of our Romaji-based 101-key keyboard, but if you know, what you are doing, it is quite handy, not to have to jump to the computer with the Japanese OS to jot down a couple of lines in Kanji.

HTH

Kentucky
United States
Local time: 00:53
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Hans-Henning! Jan 31, 2002

You are a great help. Thanks, Ally

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What software do I need to read Japanese on -line?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search