Mobile menu

Web-based CAT - does it exist?
Thread poster: Wolfgang Jörissen

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Member
Dutch to German
+ ...
Jan 5, 2009

I was wondering if any of the CAT suppliers has already come up with a such thing as a web-based CAT system. Also, if somebody uses other ways to work remotely, please share your experience.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:09
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
WAT Jan 5, 2009

WAT (web assisted translation)

Can you clarify it, Across, Idiom, and many other CAT tools can be connected to online servers.

Selcuk


Direct link Reply with quote
 

RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
It would breach confidentiality Jan 5, 2009

And you don't need a NDA; confidentiality is part of translators' ethics. You should never upload your client's text anywhere where third parties could read it unless your client explicitly allow you to do so. Of course, there would not be any problem if the document was publicly available on Internet.

¡Salud!

Ignacio Vicario Esteban


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Well, how do you define CAT? Jan 5, 2009

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:
I was wondering if any of the CAT suppliers has already come up with a such thing as a web-based CAT system.


Well, there are several web-based translation interfaces that I know of, particularly in the software localisation field. There is Pootle, there is Rosetta, and I guess you can add BabelZilla to that list as well. I also know of Idiom WorldServer, which is great for small texts of less than, say, 20 segments, but an utter nightmare for longer texts.

But I think you should define what you mean by a CAT tool. Is a web-based interface enough to warrant the label "CAT" tool? Or must there be some kind of additional functionality, like realtime translation memory matching or glossary matching? And would you regard the tool as a CAT tool if a freelancer can't use it by himself, without the need for an independent project manager?

I mean, I would love to see web-based tools where freelancers can upload files, do translations, get matches, do searches etc, whenever they want to without the need for someone behind the scenes to upload files, prepare files in advance, set various settings etc.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No breach Jan 5, 2009

RNAtranslator wrote:
It would breach confidentiality.


Only if it could be read by third parties. If a web-based CAT tool works on the basis of user accounts, there is no issue of breach. After all, your mail account is online as well, and the only thing that separates the confidential mails from the wide world is one little password. Besides, if a client chooses to make sections of his text available for public viewing, then that is his decision.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:09
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An option Jan 5, 2009

Hi Wolfgang!

You can try this site

http://www.lingotek.com/EN/index.php

Maybe this is what you are looking for.

Best
Marina


Direct link Reply with quote
 

RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Breach Jan 5, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

RNAtranslator wrote:
It would breach confidentiality.


Only if it could be read by third parties. If a web-based CAT tool works on the basis of user accounts, there is no issue of breach. After all, your mail account is online as well, and the only thing that separates the confidential mails from the wide world is one little password.


If the password is too little or too easy to guess, that is a translator's fault. We must be carefull with our clients' data. But I see your point. Yes, the emailed document is exposed to third parties because the administrators of the email account can read it regardless of the good or bad password. Even more: emailing an unencrypted document is the same as mailing it written in paper within an open envelope; it is exposed to third parties. But you are mistaken (IMHO) in the argument. It is the client who has taken the risk of sending their document without encryptation, exposing it to the risks involved with that. This entitles you to to use the same procedure as far as you do not expose it to more third parties. If you expose the document to more risks you are in fault.

According with your argument, as the client has exposed their document to the risk of emailing it (unencrypted), you can expose it to any other risks. Why not emailing it to your friends and family?. No, the client decides (usually without the necessary knowledge) what risks to assume, and you are not entitled to assume a single more risk.

Samuel Murray wrote:
Besides, if a client chooses to make sections of his text available for public viewing, then that is his decision.



Sorry, I can't understand this. As I told, if the client has released to the public the document, you don't need to care about privacy. If you received an already public document you don't need to care. Maybe I can not understand this part.

¡Salud!

Ignacio Vicario Esteban


P.D.: Offtopic: Why on Earth is people so, so stupid to email confidential documents unencrypted??? I think I will suggest a poll abut that.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
FarkasAndras
Local time: 18:09
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Come on... Jan 6, 2009

RNAtranslator, it is obvious that any cloud-based translation service would encrypt and protect traffic and data. Most of us trust the safety of such measures enough to bet our savings (bank accounts) on them, why not our work?

I don't know of any cloud translation software, only online TMs. I imagine it will come sooner or later though, for those who travel a lot and/or have very weak hardware.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:09
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Server options... Jan 6, 2009

If you want a particularly inexpensive one, there is MetaTexis server allowing online collaboration between teams of translators.

http://www.metatexis.com/mxserver.htm


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:09
German to Polish
+ ...
Yes Jan 6, 2009

One of my clients has developed a proprietary solution. Translation is done in a web browser, assisted by a TM running on their server. Works fine.
They are translating in many languages simultaneously and are able to follow the progress online in each language pair.

But I don't know an open system of this kind.

Regards

A.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Member
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reason for asking Jan 6, 2009

Thanks for all the answers. The reason for asking this question is the fact that I lately spent a night working on a project that consisted of a web-based database. I did so together with other colleagues and this simultaneous work situation really gave me a boost, although the system itself had no CAT capabilities at all (a larger and more complicated job probably would have made me swear and curse).

Although I would miss working with my beloved CAT tool (well, let's hope that future developments are going into that direction), a system like Andrzej mentions would be what I am looking for.

I experienced this for a night now, but are there people around here who work this way on a daily basis? What are the pros and cons?

[Edited at 2009-01-06 15:15 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You mean, translatathon style? Jan 6, 2009

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:
The reason for asking this question is the fact that I lately spent a night working on a project that consisted of a web-based database. I did so together with other colleagues... I experienced this for a night now, but are there people around here who work this way on a daily basis?


You mean, multiple translators working on a single document or a single set of documents simultaneously? It could work, certainly, but it'd be a bigger success if the translators know each others' style and can emulate it (translate consistent with each other, in other words), and I'd still let the translators work alone on relatively large chunks of texts. If this is a technical book, for example, I'd not let more than one translator work on a single chapter. And I would take steps to ensure that translators add terms to the glossary dilligently, to ensure terminological consistency. In such a system, fuzzy matching of segments would probably play second fiddle to features like TM search and automatic phrase matching. The value of the TM would be to ensure consistency, and not really to increase speed.

Is this what you mean?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
...and the two versions of Wordfast Jan 6, 2009

Spiros Doikas wrote:
If you want a particularly inexpensive one, there is MetaTexis server allowing online collaboration between teams of translators.


Well, the MetaTexis server makes use of the internet, but it doesn't contain a browser-based editor, does it? That said, if you simply want to collaborate via the internet in real time, you can try the 3.35x version of Wordfast (contains a few hacks including e-mail based and FTP server based TM sharing) or the 5.5 version of Wordfast (comes with a separate module that apparently does pretty much what MetaTexis server does).


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Web-based CAT - does it exist?

Advanced search


Translation news related to CAT tools





TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs