https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/126512-function_find_replace_not_active_in_tageditor.html

Function "Find / Replace" not active in TagEditor
Thread poster: Angela Kosler
Angela Kosler
Angela Kosler  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:10
English to German
Feb 2, 2009

TagEditor, Version 8.0

hello, I am proofreading a large file in TagEditor and would like to make use of the function "Find / Replace", as there are many repetitions etc. which need to be changed.

the buttons "replace" and "replace" all are however not active (grey) - I tried turning off the tag protection etc. but nothing worked.

does anybody know a cure or do I have to search "manually" through all those segments?

thanks a lot in advance,... See more
TagEditor, Version 8.0

hello, I am proofreading a large file in TagEditor and would like to make use of the function "Find / Replace", as there are many repetitions etc. which need to be changed.

the buttons "replace" and "replace" all are however not active (grey) - I tried turning off the tag protection etc. but nothing worked.

does anybody know a cure or do I have to search "manually" through all those segments?

thanks a lot in advance,
angela
Collapse

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
yes Feb 2, 2009

Hi Angela,

As far as I am aware, you cannot just use the search and replace feature to search and replace similar occurrences in TagEditor. If you want to apply global changes in TagEditor, you have to open every single segment where it applies and then close it before searching and modifying the next occurrence. Now if anyone knows different, I would be more than happy to hear I am wrong...!
Best,
Annelise

Angela Kosler
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 2, 2009

hi annelise,

thank you for your answer! it seems to be as I anticipated - not very comfortable!!
schade ...

greetings,
angela

Maurizio Valente
Maurizio Valente  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
In memoriam
A text editor Feb 2, 2009

All in all, a ttx file is just a text file.

Why don't you try to do it with a text editor, such as Ultraedit?
(http://www.ultraedit.com/)

Maurizio

Angela Kosler wrote:

hi annelise,

thank you for your answer! it seems to be as I anticipated - not very comfortable!!
schade ...

greetings,
angela

[Edited at 2009-02-02 13:01 GMT]

Frits Ens
Frits Ens
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
you can search and replace Feb 2, 2009

Just switch off all protections in the settings menu, and you can search and replace!

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Of course you can Feb 2, 2009

TransAction wrote:

Just switch off all protections in the settings menu, and you can search and replace!

If you're not using an ancient version (lower than 7.0 or so), you should be able to search and replace just fine once you disable document protection in the settings dialog.

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2009-02-02 14:34 GMT]

Angela Kosler
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
switch-off works Feb 2, 2009

hello transaction,

thanks a lot for your help - after having switched off the protections I now can search and replace as I like!

regards,
angela

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Function "Find / Replace" not active in TagEditor

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »