Thread poster: DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 3, 2009

Hello translators' world

I did search the forum but found no recent and relevant information regarding my question.
So, is it possible to generate TM automatically using either unclean translation project or two separate files (original + translation) ?
If ‘yes’ then what tools/CATs you find
... See more
Hello translators' world

I did search the forum but found no recent and relevant information regarding my question.
So, is it possible to generate TM automatically using either unclean translation project or two separate files (original + translation) ?
If ‘yes’ then what tools/CATs you find easier for the purpose?

Thank you.

P.S. Does only my IE read [Deja Vu Support] under 'Use the relevant forum if applicable' as [D�j� Vu Support]?
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:32
Italian to English
In memoriam
Alignment Feb 3, 2009

DZiW wrote:

Hello translators' world

So, is it possible to generate TM automatically using either unclean translation project

Depending on the CAT tool you are using, you probably just need to clean it into a new or existing translation memory.

or two separate files
(original + translation) ?

This process is usually referred to as "aligning" files. CAT tools generally have an alignment tool incorporated or supplied as part of the suite.

The standard alignment tools are generally fine for short texts but every so often, I need to align large quantities of text in multiple documents for reference purposes. I find the tools from Terminotix to be a good option for this but, of course, YMMV

www.terminotix.com

HTH

Giles

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:32
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
This is called alignment. Feb 3, 2009

Search again with a right query.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:32
German to English
+ ...
Automatically? No. Feb 3, 2009

You can generate the TMs with a little manual effort by a process known as alignment. Most major CAT tools and some minor ones have tools for this. Or there are commercial services like No Babel which can handle bulk processing of certain file types in certain languages - that would be automatic I suppose. I have yet to test and review such a service, so I can't give you a personal opinion of the quality, but a colleague in the Netherlands tells me he has processed many documents with No ... See more
You can generate the TMs with a little manual effort by a process known as alignment. Most major CAT tools and some minor ones have tools for this. Or there are commercial services like No Babel which can handle bulk processing of certain file types in certain languages - that would be automatic I suppose. I have yet to test and review such a service, so I can't give you a personal opinion of the quality, but a colleague in the Netherlands tells me he has processed many documents with No Babel and was satisfied with the resultant TMs.Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My answers Feb 3, 2009

DZiW wrote:
Is it possible to generate TM automatically using either unclean translation project...

I'm not sure what you mean by "project". If you have uncleaned files, you can use Wordfast (or some other tools) to clean them up and add the segments to a TM at the same time.

...or two separate files (original + translation)?

Yes, if you have the source and target (or reasonable approximations thereof) you can use an aligner. I recommend the aligner in PlusTools (from the Wordfast people).

Alignment isn't really a CAT function. You can use an aligner from one CAT tool vendor and then use a different CAT tool for doing your translations. As long as the alignment tool produces a TM that can be used in the CAT tool, you're okay.

TMs created by PlusTools are in the Wordfast format, but you can use Wordfast to convert it to TMX, which is a fairly universal format among other CAT tools.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
TextAlign (Windows only) is quite good for aligning Feb 3, 2009

See here: http://mt2007-cat.ru/downloads.html

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
is it safe? Feb 3, 2009

esperantisto wrote:

esperantisto is this program safe? Because there is picture of a girl in bikini

What kind of CAT tool uses such pictures?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
OT: We need more pictures of girls! Feb 3, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:
esperantisto wrote:

Esperantisto, is this program safe? Because there is picture of a girl in bikini.

Our profession is getting far too serious. We need more girls in bikinis. Who knows, perhaps that picture is a picture of the programmer who created the tool (wouldn't that be something!). Interestingly, the tattoo just above the pantyline is the BSD mascot, so we have a Windows programmer wishing he was using Open Source.

Wouldn't it be great if you could have a wallpaper in Trados while translating? Needn't be a girl in a bikini -- it could be photo of your children or your wife or your dog or something even.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Of course, it’s safe! Feb 3, 2009

Do you believe, such a charming girl could bring you something bad?

Kidding aside, I’ve used this tool (the standalone aligner) on two different machines, and anti-virus programs did not complain.

Interestingly, the tattoo just above the pantyline is the BSD mascot, so we have a Windows programmer wishing he was using Open Source.

He says, this is kinda souvenir of his youth Really, he wished, he could create a free program, but is restricted by use of some non-free libraries and tools. Or so I understood his explanations.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Would be great of course Feb 3, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
Wouldn't it be great if you could have a wallpaper in Trados while translating? Needn't be a girl in a bikini -- it could be photo of your children or your wife or your dog or something even.

However, I can hardly use all features of these CAT tools, and I have no idea even how to change the background or presentation pıctures of the CAT tools. If somebody knows, please tells me how to go behind of the features of the programs.

[Edited at 2009-02-03 13:16 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanx very much Feb 3, 2009

Ok, now I will also feel smart - alignment.

Usually I (as most people) use only the required features to do the job, but not the whole bunch of them. So, when I found some old projects without TMs I had to find a solution. I've learnt it and now I know – thank you.

Although I don't think that some decoration
... See more
Ok, now I will also feel smart - alignment.

Usually I (as most people) use only the required features to do the job, but not the whole bunch of them. So, when I found some old projects without TMs I had to find a solution. I've learnt it and now I know – thank you.

Although I don't think that some decorations would improve a translator's performance I believe that some features as color highlights, fonts, size and other visual and sound tips could be of use. But overdoing will just distract IMO.

Cheers.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
unclean -> TM Feb 3, 2009

DZiW wrote:

Well if by unclean project you mean unclean files, i.e. a bilingual file as created by trados or wordfast, don't shoot yourself in the foot by aligning the same text. CAT tools can generate TMs from such files. Trados can do that through WB/tools/clean up, update TM.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:32
Swedish to English
+ ...
And maybe a few boys in swimming trunks Feb 3, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

Our profession is getting far too serious. We need more girls in bikinis.

Looking forward to your new picture...

On second thought, let's try to keep this site professional for all genders.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

original + translation = TM ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »