Mobile menu

Embedded objects in PowerPoint - How to translate and count words?
Thread poster: Kristina Kolic

Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
Member (2007)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Feb 16, 2009

I just translated a huge PowerPoint presentation, which was full of embedded objects, mostly Excel tables, and grouped elements.

I usually use Wordfast in combination with Werecat to extract the text to be translated and send the translation back to PowerPoint. There is absolutely no problem with that, other than some minor font size issues that have to be fixed subsequently in PowerPoint (when different font sizes are used in the same segment). However, Werecat and Wordfast do not extract or handle embedded objects, which makes the translation process very time-consuming.

Is there any way or tool available to make it easier to translate these embedded objects? In particular when you do not have the original files of the embedded objects...

On the other hand, I have also tried to get the word count with Practicount and CountAnything, but none of these tools seems to count the words included in embedded objects in a PowerPoint presentation. Is there any tool or method that could be used to get an accurate word count of such whole PowerPoint file without having to extract the text from each individual embedded object? How do you handle it?

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 07:52
French to English
Word Count in Power Point Feb 16, 2009

I'm no expert in Power Point, but I tried something and it worked.

First, I created a small power Point text in Word (FILE / SEND TO / MICROSOFT POWER POINT). Then I typed a few words in the heading and in the body of the presentation.

Next I hit SELECT ALL / COPY and I opened a blank Word page and Pasted the results there.

Finally, using CompleteWordCount (download from here):

I got the exact word count.

Maybe one of your word counting utilities would work too.

Hope this works. Let us know.

If not, I found this site that says it will count words in embedded objects (free trial available):

[Edited at 2009-02-16 20:01 GMT]

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:52
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
You can do it with OmegaT Feb 16, 2009

If you convert PPT to ODP with conversion of embedded objects enabled, you can translated such files with OmegaT.

As for statistics, OmegaT has got its own stats function. Alternatively, you can use such programs as FineCount.

[Edited at 2009-02-16 13:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Embedded objects in PowerPoint - How to translate and count words?

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs