Mobile menu

.doc file contains drop-down menu macros
Thread poster: Richard Robinson

Richard Robinson  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:49
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Feb 19, 2009

A client has sent me a couple of .doc files containing macros for drop-down menus. Is there a way to manage these with Wordfast - or even translate them without any CAT tools? When I click on them I don't seem to be able to edit them at all.

In fact the files look as though someone has copied the material off the internet and pasted into Word (there are also unnecessary tables, frames). Perhaps some gentle client education is in order...?

Direct link Reply with quote
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:49
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Two workarounds Feb 19, 2009

I would try out two conversions:
1) DOC → RTF (with Word), or
2) DOC → ODT (with Writer)

and see, which eliminates the macros.

With the second option, it is possible to proceed translating with OmegaT.

Richard Robinson  Identity Verified
Hungarian to English
+ ...
disallow / allow macros in Word Feb 19, 2009

I think I've solved it myself:

First disallowing macros, open the document. Now I can click into the menus, a VBasic window opens and in there I can edit the text in the menu options.

Save and close document.

Now re-open document this time allowing macros, and proceed to do the rest with normal CAT tools.

Thank you for your help. Converting to rtf preserved the drop-down menus (which really surprised me!) and even opening the .doc with Open Office obliterated them altogether (before conversion), so there would have been nothing for Omega to work on. But I shall remember these tips for the future!

[Edited at 2009-02-19 13:56 GMT]

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Export module in VBA Editor Feb 19, 2009

If there is a lot of items in the menus, this might also work:

Alt+F11 to activate the VBA editor, in the top left corner you will see "projects" which stand for the files open in Word and connected templates.

In the project for the document you opened you have to find the module which contains macros and forms for the menus.
You will be able to export them to a bas and/or frm (form) file, which hopefully can be processed by a CAT tool. Form file holds the data for the layout of the menu, and it may also contain translatable text of the menu labels. Bas (macros) may contain translatable messages.

Bas and frm files can be reimported into templates and DOC files using the VBA Editor.

Hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.doc file contains drop-down menu macros

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs