WORD collapses when TRADOS is installed
Thread poster: Anja Schwalm
Anja Schwalm
Anja Schwalm  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:43
Spanish to German
+ ...
Jul 25, 2003

Does anybody have the same problem? Whenever I have TRADOS installed (no matter if 5.5 or 6.0), this causes my WORD to collapse in irregular intervals. My WORD Version is XP. Even the spell check in WORD does not work properly. I simply have no idea what to do.

Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:43
German to English
+ ...
Word XP is shaky Jul 25, 2003

Anja,

I bought a new computer in December, which had Word XP pre-installed. When I attempted to work with TRADOS 5.5, there were problems that were very similar to the ones you describe. Word would freeze or slow down to a crawl. After experimenting with the setup to my growing frustration, I removed all the XP components from the computer and installed the Office 2000 suite again. That solved the problem.

Dorothee

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Similar problem Jul 25, 2003

Does it happen with all files or certain files? I once received a TM and a rtf file that made my Word 2000 vanish at regular 10-minute intervals without saving the work. As it happened only with that file, and not with others, I suspect that it must have been something in the prepared TM or in the formatting of the file that kept crushing it.
Since the TM entries were not lost, I had to repeat the whole process by using open/get. As I didn't have time to investigate the matter, I measured
... See more
Does it happen with all files or certain files? I once received a TM and a rtf file that made my Word 2000 vanish at regular 10-minute intervals without saving the work. As it happened only with that file, and not with others, I suspect that it must have been something in the prepared TM or in the formatting of the file that kept crushing it.
Since the TM entries were not lost, I had to repeat the whole process by using open/get. As I didn't have time to investigate the matter, I measured the time it took for Word to crush, and kept saving the project manually before the period expired because background saving didn't work.

However, if it is not just an accident, but rather a rule, you need professional help.

BTW, what is wrong with your spell checker?

[Edited at 2003-07-25 13:35]
Collapse

Anja Schwalm
Anja Schwalm  Identity Verified
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
all files Jul 25, 2003

It happens with all files and even if I don't work with Trados. I have found a comment, however, that suggests to upgrade my memory size. I think I will try this.

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Typical Jul 25, 2003

Anja Schwalm wrote:

I have found a comment, however, that suggests to upgrade my memory size. I think I will try this.

Well, isn't it typical. Things that are supposed to work with normal HW requirements suddenly crash, then suggestion is..... buy more memory!

This is not gonna solve the problem, Anja. And if it does, it will be just temporarily. Have seen this kind of coments once too often in tech support conversations. Deliberate obsolescence, I call it.

My advice: step back to Office 2000. It's not so bad considering it's from microsoft; actually it's the best thing I've seen from then I think. All the XP environment is, right now, extremely shaky and unsure. Shouldn't have been marketed w/o a much more thorough testing and debugging, but yeah, it's microsoft, and this is our world.

Rb

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Corrupted template? Jul 25, 2003

Check this "Corrupted Templates Cause Problems with Performing Open/Get, Run-Time Error, or Word Crash" at the Trados Support site:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=476

HTH

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
CPU at 100% and background services in Word Jul 25, 2003

CPU at 100% is some time the case when working in MS Word (No matter which ver.). It helps running Win XP, but when MS Word causes the CPU to run at almost 100% it will crash word. (You can check your system by pressing ctrl+alt+del, and watch the "Performance" tab. Try opening a word document, put on show spelling mistakes and open a segment in a CAT-tool)

MS has an article about turning off the background spell checker (that most of us use, I suppose?). Spelling can be done after
... See more
CPU at 100% is some time the case when working in MS Word (No matter which ver.). It helps running Win XP, but when MS Word causes the CPU to run at almost 100% it will crash word. (You can check your system by pressing ctrl+alt+del, and watch the "Performance" tab. Try opening a word document, put on show spelling mistakes and open a segment in a CAT-tool)

MS has an article about turning off the background spell checker (that most of us use, I suppose?). Spelling can be done after finishing a session, or after closing a TU (Wordfast). I always have the "Show spelling mistakes" turned off, and I have a very stable Win XP/Word 2000 system.

A bit off topic: I run RAID 1, and this give me to identical hard drives. If one of the drives crashes(for good) I can just boot the other one! Instant backup, and also with double read performance. Write to disc performance will stay the same since the same data is written to both hard drives.
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:43
English to French
things you can do. Jul 26, 2003

Anja Schwalm wrote:

Does anybody have the same problem? Whenever I have TRADOS installed (no matter if 5.5 or 6.0), this causes my WORD to collapse in irregular intervals. My WORD Version is XP. Even the spell check in WORD does not work properly. I simply have no idea what to do.

Go down the list until the problem is gone:
* Close Word. Locate and delete your "normal.dot" file. (basic config of Word is in there) When you reopen Word it creates a new, clean one.
* desactivate any other templates you may have running(tools/template&add-in)
* Reboot
* Do a clean install of both word and trados

[Edited at 2003-07-26 10:25]

fdais
fdais
Local time: 04:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Autosave Jul 26, 2003

I had the same problem and was about to move back to Word 2000, but recently found out that if I save my document at the same time autosave does it, it crashes.

My solution was to set autosave every 3 minutes and NOT saving the document manually, and the problem seems to be solved.

As for the spellchecker, I need to re-activate every time it refuses to do it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WORD collapses when TRADOS is installed

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »