Which CAT Tool?
Thread poster: Gayle Rolando (X)
Gayle Rolando (X)
Gayle Rolando (X)  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2009

I am new to CAT Tools and would like to learn a little more. I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I can't really use the specific support forums to ask a general question - so here goes.

I don't know enough about CAT tools to know which one to invest in. As background, I don't do heavily technical translations and I dont think I will be doing any localization (just yet). I know some translators think this a must - but as a start I am looking for a simpl
... See more
I am new to CAT Tools and would like to learn a little more. I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I can't really use the specific support forums to ask a general question - so here goes.

I don't know enough about CAT tools to know which one to invest in. As background, I don't do heavily technical translations and I dont think I will be doing any localization (just yet). I know some translators think this a must - but as a start I am looking for a simple tool that accepts a number of file formats, that is easy to use and that simplifies my job (too much learning all at once may just complicate things).

I have been learning to use Wordfast Pro, but have seen some negative comments regarding the newer version and would hate to end up wasting time on something that has no future. Others thought MemoQ was better. I would be most grateful for any feedback from anyone with more knowledge than I have right now. I am prepared to buy a licence and learn the software, but would just like some kind of guidance before doing so as it will cost both time and money in the end.

Thanks to anyone who can help me!
Collapse

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:31
English to French
Have you looked into the archives? Mar 10, 2009

Hi Gayle,

There are certainly plenty of threads dealing with this kind of question. You might search
"MemoQ", "Wordfast pro" or "which cat tool" in the "search forum" option.

See for instance
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/118025-cat_decision.html
... See more
Hi Gayle,

There are certainly plenty of threads dealing with this kind of question. You might search
"MemoQ", "Wordfast pro" or "which cat tool" in the "search forum" option.

See for instance
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/118025-cat_decision.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/84308-how_to_choose_cat_tools_at_the_beginning.html

Stéphanie
Collapse

Gayle Rolando (X)
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 10, 2009

Thanks for your reply. I looked mainly in the archives under CAT support, but found it hard to come away with any feeling of what would be most suitable. I think I probably searched in the wrong place (or in the wrong way), because your links look like a good start. Thanks!

Gayle Rolando (X)
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looking in the wrong place! Mar 10, 2009

Turns out I was searching in the wrong place and in the wrong way - so now I have found a whole lot of information. Thanks Stéphanie for pointing me in the right direction.

RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
OmegaT Mar 10, 2009

Have a look at OmegaT, it is good, easy to use and free: http://www.omegat.org/

¡Salud!

Ignacio Vicario Esteban

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Have a look at videos Mar 10, 2009

http://www.proz.com/videos/cat%20tool%20webinars

kicking tyres at no cost

Gayle Rolando (X)
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - will take a look... Mar 10, 2009

Thanks for the information...

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
It's YOU who will have to work with it after all Mar 10, 2009

CAT tools come in different shapes, sizes, price categories and all have them have their own advantages and ideosyncracies (yes, plenty of those), so you better make sure that the tool YOU will be working with is a tool you are comfortable with. Compare a couple of them (trying should be free) and stick to the one you like best. The data you gather along the way is interchangeable between the different applications, so nothing is lost.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-03-10 21:58 GMT]

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
MetaTexis Mar 11, 2009

Hi Gayle,

I suggest you try MetaTexis, it's very easy to use.

Woflgang is right in that you probably want to try a couple (the free versions) before making any investment.

Lucía

Gayle Rolando (X)
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Lucia and Wolfgang... Mar 11, 2009

I guess I need to accept that I will be spending some time learning software if I am to find out what works)
Thanks for the tips - and yes, too true, I will have to be comfortable with the tool in the end. I have an idea of a few that I will start out with, and then see where it goes.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Swordfish Mar 11, 2009

I have used it for a little over a year now, and had used other CAT tools for several years before, and I must say that I like Swordfish from Maxprograms much better.

Regards,

Piotr Bienkowski

Gayle Rolando (X)
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll add it to the list.. Mar 11, 2009

Thanks Piotr, I will add it to the list of tools to try...

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:31
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
But what is your experience? Mar 11, 2009

Gayle Rolando wrote:

I have been learning to use Wordfast Pro, but have seen some negative comments regarding the newer version and would hate to end up wasting time on something that has no future.

Wordfast Pro is a relatively new program, thus certain negative comments are inevitable. Besides, some drawbacks of the first release (2.1.5) seem to be gone with the newest one (2.1.9). This does not mean, WFP has no future. On the contrary, I do believe that WFP will take a significant amount of users with time.

However, did you actually try it for a real job and what was your experience with it?

If you only start using CAT tools, probably, you should take a look first at:
- free programs such as OmegaT and Anaphraseus.
- freeware programs such as MT2007, AidTrans Studio Basic, Metatexis Lite.

After you gain some experience, you will understand, if can stay with the above programs or need commercial ones.

As for me, I use OmegaT for 80 to 90% of the jobs, Wordfast Classic for ≈10% and sometimes Anaphraseus, which, although still in beta status, is fit for real jobs, if you consider its limitations.

[Edited at 2009-03-11 08:35 GMT]

Gayle Rolando (X)
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried it on a real text... Mar 11, 2009

I actually tried wordfast pro on a real text that I needed to translate for my own web pages, I was too afraid to try it straight out on a job when I had little experience of it. Part of the initial problem is coming to terms with the new vocabulary around CAT tools, and without a user friendly book (Wordfast pro for dummies) it took me a little time to see what it could do.

I noticed, as someone else seems to have, that unlike the classic version you could not mark segments as "pro
... See more
I actually tried wordfast pro on a real text that I needed to translate for my own web pages, I was too afraid to try it straight out on a job when I had little experience of it. Part of the initial problem is coming to terms with the new vocabulary around CAT tools, and without a user friendly book (Wordfast pro for dummies) it took me a little time to see what it could do.

I noticed, as someone else seems to have, that unlike the classic version you could not mark segments as "provisional". Other than that I liked my experience of the software - and I wondered if I had in fact simply missed a way of tailoring the colour options to better suit my needs... I haven't written off the software at all. I will try some of the others mentioned here and see if I get a better feel for what suits me... this seems to be a personal choice in the end.

Thanks for your input.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:31
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I do recommend OmegaT for web site translation Mar 11, 2009

because with OmegaT you can load a whole project (with multiple pages), and the resulting translation will preserve the structure of the original.

As for provisional segments, WFP does not have any (neither has OmegaT), because its workflow does not require it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT Tool?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »