Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
So this is it? If I refuse to use Trados, I cannot translate XML files?
Thread poster: Dinny
Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:46
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Mar 11, 2009

Hi there,
I am trying to solve a very specific problem here: I want to be part of a project to translate XML files.

I work with Wordfast Freelance. I have long ago tried Trados and discarted it as being a hopelessly, non-userfriendly CAT tool. Considering the price and the problems it creates, not to mention the enormous amount of time you need to invest in learning how to master it, there is no reason whatsoever for this product to try to dominate the market. They still try -
... See more
Hi there,
I am trying to solve a very specific problem here: I want to be part of a project to translate XML files.

I work with Wordfast Freelance. I have long ago tried Trados and discarted it as being a hopelessly, non-userfriendly CAT tool. Considering the price and the problems it creates, not to mention the enormous amount of time you need to invest in learning how to master it, there is no reason whatsoever for this product to try to dominate the market. They still try - but I am NOT considering it.

Question 1: Does any of you have experience with Wordfast Pro as to its capability of dealing with XML files?

Question 2: Does any of you have experience with any other CAT tool that can deal with XML files - and maybe even be compatible with TMs in various formats?

Question 3: Does any of you know whether CatsCradle is able to handle XML files?

I thank my membership of ProZ to be able to draw on such a huge number of experienced translators for advice!

Looking forward to your comments! TIA!

Dinny
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:46
French to English
WFC? Mar 11, 2009

Hi Dinny,

Why not do the job with Wordfast Classic? As long as the files are prepared in the right way, I believe it's possible. I have not yet attempted xml files, but I'm pretty sure others are doing it with Wordfast Classic. (someone please confirm!!)

As for Wordfast Pro, it's not ready yet. I have done some "test" projects and there is still a lot to be improved in this new tool. I have decided not to use it for real jobs, for the moment, and I'm following developme
... See more
Hi Dinny,

Why not do the job with Wordfast Classic? As long as the files are prepared in the right way, I believe it's possible. I have not yet attempted xml files, but I'm pretty sure others are doing it with Wordfast Classic. (someone please confirm!!)

As for Wordfast Pro, it's not ready yet. I have done some "test" projects and there is still a lot to be improved in this new tool. I have decided not to use it for real jobs, for the moment, and I'm following developments on the various lists.

Sure - there are other CAT tools that can handle xml, but if you're already familiar with Wordfast Classic, my advice would be to stick with that.
Collapse

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
MetaTexis Mar 11, 2009

Hi Dinny,

MetaTexis can also handle XML files. You can download a trial version at www.metatexis.com.

Hermann

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast is my preference Mar 11, 2009

Hi Lori,
Thanks for taking the time to reply!
I actually prefer to do the translation with Wordfast Classic and by means of PlusTools+ I can tag/translate/untag the file... BUT, I cannot save it in XML file format again. Meaning, I'm cut out of the project, sigh double-sigh!

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MetaTexis Mar 11, 2009

Thanks, Hermann, I will definitely give it a look! Can it handle my TMs as well?

Dinny

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
plain text Mar 11, 2009

Dinny wrote:

Hi Lori,
Thanks for taking the time to reply!
I actually prefer to do the translation with Wordfast Classic and by means of PlusTools+ I can tag/translate/untag the file... BUT, I cannot save it in XML file format again. Meaning, I'm cut out of the project, sigh double-sigh!

I'm no expert here, but isn't xml just plain text? You tag, translate, clean up and save, then save as .txt (with whatever encoding is required for the project) and rename the files .xml instead of .txt ??

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow, Lori, if it was simple as that! Mar 11, 2009

I really like the way you say "you simply rename it".... could that be the solution of everything? There is no way to save the translated file as an XML file... so you just "rename" it?

Will go right away to see if that works!

l'll get back to you!

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back quickly with bad news... Mar 11, 2009

No, Lori, renaming the file does not by miracle turn it into an XML file. It might have "last name" .xml, but it is still listed as a "text document". Pity, it sounded like a fantastic idea!

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
DVX Mar 11, 2009

Hi Dinny,
Deja Vu X has a 30 day free trial and can handle xml files. You can download the program and they will send you an activation code.

Hth
Giusi

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grazie, Giusi Mar 11, 2009

Will give Deja Vu a look also. My spirit is uplifted by all these possibilities of NOT dealing with Trados!

Will let you know!

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
it *is* a text document Mar 11, 2009

Dinny wrote:

No, Lori, renaming the file does not by miracle turn it into an XML file. It might have "last name" .xml, but it is still listed as a "text document". Pity, it sounded like a fantastic idea!

Well, it is a text document - did you try to open it up in a browser, or in a text editor to check if the structure looks the same as your source file?

http://www.functionx.com/xmlnet/Lesson02.htm (see the part about creating a file with a text editor)

http://www.your-translations.com/XML_translation_basics_1.php (this was written by a Wordfast user AFAIK)

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Lori, will check these out as well! Mar 11, 2009

Thanks for your patience! Who knows, we might eventually find the solution!

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:46
English to Spanish
Okapi Mar 11, 2009

DVX does work like a charm (you can even create your own XML filters), but if you're so used to working with Wordfast, why not use an intermediate tool to convert to another format, e.g. Okapi?

You can extract the translatable text from the XML as XLIFF, TMX, RTF, a tab delimited table, etc., translate it as usual (I'm sure WF can handle some of the
... See more
DVX does work like a charm (you can even create your own XML filters), but if you're so used to working with Wordfast, why not use an intermediate tool to convert to another format, e.g. Okapi?

You can extract the translatable text from the XML as XLIFF, TMX, RTF, a tab delimited table, etc., translate it as usual (I'm sure WF can handle some of these) and then reimport it to the XML file.

Mind you, it will take some time to tweak the process according to the XML format and whatever WF does to the file, but once you find the right export/import options you'll be working with these files seamlessly.
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Checked the wordfast knowledge base? Mar 11, 2009

Question 1: Does any of you have experience with Wordfast Pro as to its capability of dealing with XML files?

Have you checked the Wordfast documentation?

I am sure there is information about it in the Knowledge base:

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&lang=engb

Daniel

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
Russian to English
+ ...
OmegaT Mar 11, 2009

can use Microsoft Open XML files. (I don't know what they are, but the manual says so!)

(It's free)
www.omegat.org

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

So this is it? If I refuse to use Trados, I cannot translate XML files?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »