https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/13488-word_table_tracks_changes_with_trados.html

Word table tracks changes with Trados
Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 21, 2003

Hello,

I have just come across a very strange problem with Trados, Word and tables.

My large document has two tables in it. Each time I use Trados to translate a cell in the table, I cannot close the segment. Trados Workbench tells me that the "{o mark for starting a translation unit is missing or damaged"

However, when I check the Trados markers, everything looks just fine - except that Word has suddenly placed a line to the left of the table, as if I were
... See more
Hello,

I have just come across a very strange problem with Trados, Word and tables.

My large document has two tables in it. Each time I use Trados to translate a cell in the table, I cannot close the segment. Trados Workbench tells me that the "{o mark for starting a translation unit is missing or damaged"

However, when I check the Trados markers, everything looks just fine - except that Word has suddenly placed a line to the left of the table, as if I were using the Track Changes function.

I cannot move on to the next segment unless I highlight the table cell and accept the change. Unfortunately, I have to repeat this process each time I want to translate the next cell in the table.

Does any one know why this happens / how I can prevent it? Trados doesn't work with the Track Changes feature on, so why does Word suddenly start to track my translation as a change?!

Thanks,

Joanne
Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:41
Danish to English
+ ...
word table tracks Aug 21, 2003

Check the items listed in your format painter in Word. (the icon that looks like a paintbrush). Uncheck the reviewing, if that is showing. In Word click on tools, check to see if the icon for track changes is dark. If dark, click on it to undo the track change section.

These are just a couple of suggestions. I had a similar problem once but can't remember exactly what I did.

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but that's not it! Aug 22, 2003

I still can't work out why this happens. As I said before, it's not possible to work with Trados and the Track changes function. If you try to turn Track changes on, Trados gets all cross and displays a popup telling you to turn it off again.

All suggestions gratefully received, however!

Thanks,

Joanne

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:41
Danish to English
+ ...
track changes Aug 23, 2003

Sorry, I misunderstood. No, track changes does not work with workbench, when you have workbench open. I will need to do the corrections with track changes without WB. I suggest, if you want to enter words into your memory using WB that you (1)leave workbench off, (2) use track changes and send the file off to your client with the changes, (3) then open the file and accept the track changes, and close the file, (4) open WB, clean the file with TM option checked as you want it to be, and then y... See more
Sorry, I misunderstood. No, track changes does not work with workbench, when you have workbench open. I will need to do the corrections with track changes without WB. I suggest, if you want to enter words into your memory using WB that you (1)leave workbench off, (2) use track changes and send the file off to your client with the changes, (3) then open the file and accept the track changes, and close the file, (4) open WB, clean the file with TM option checked as you want it to be, and then you have the TM updated. By this, I suppose you have received an uncleaned TRADOS file that your client want you to correct, and I suppose your client want the file back uncleaned.Collapse

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't need or want to use Track changes! Aug 24, 2003

Hi again,

No, that's not my problem either. The problem is that I have a table, which I need to translate using Trados.

When I DO translate it, Word suddenly decides to insert Track changes, even though it's not possible to use the Track changes function with Trados. I don't want or need to work with Track changes at all.

So each time I translate a cell in the table, the only way I can move on to the next one is by highlighting that cell, accepting the cha
... See more
Hi again,

No, that's not my problem either. The problem is that I have a table, which I need to translate using Trados.

When I DO translate it, Word suddenly decides to insert Track changes, even though it's not possible to use the Track changes function with Trados. I don't want or need to work with Track changes at all.

So each time I translate a cell in the table, the only way I can move on to the next one is by highlighting that cell, accepting the changes and moving on to the next one.

I've found this to be my only workaround, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, how did they prevent it?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word table tracks changes with Trados

Translation news related to CAT tools

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »