https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/14114-translating_a_framemaker_fm_file_with_trados.html

Translating a Framemaker (.fm) file with TRADOS
Thread poster: Bharg Shah
Bharg Shah
Bharg Shah  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:33
French to English
+ ...
Sep 14, 2003

Hi,

I have been sent a framemaker file with the extension .fm for translation. Firstly the file does not open with the version of Framemaker (ver. 5.5.6) that I have, so I presume the file is in a higher version of Framemaker. Secondly, I already have a Trados TM on the subject and would therefore like to use Trados for this translation. I have Trados Freelance 5.5 and it doesn't seem to have S-Tagger for Framemaker - I have looked in the Trados program menu. Can someone tell me how
... See more
Hi,

I have been sent a framemaker file with the extension .fm for translation. Firstly the file does not open with the version of Framemaker (ver. 5.5.6) that I have, so I presume the file is in a higher version of Framemaker. Secondly, I already have a Trados TM on the subject and would therefore like to use Trados for this translation. I have Trados Freelance 5.5 and it doesn't seem to have S-Tagger for Framemaker - I have looked in the Trados program menu. Can someone tell me how do I go about translating this framemaker file in Trados Freelance 5.5? All help will be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

Jean-François Pineau
Jean-François Pineau  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:03
German to French
+ ...
FrameMaker, Trados and S-Tagger Sep 14, 2003

Bharg Shah wrote:

Hi,

I have been sent a framemaker file with the extension .fm for translation. Firstly the file does not open with the version of Framemaker (ver. 5.5.6) that I have, so I presume the file is in a higher version of Framemaker.

You can download a tryout-version (30 days limited) Then you\'ll have to export the file in a \".mif\" format to use it in Trados.

Secondly, I already have a Trados TM on the subject and would therefore like to use Trados for this translation. I have Trados Freelance 5.5 and it doesn\'t seem to have S-Tagger for Framemaker - I have looked in the Trados program menu. Can someone tell me how do I go about translating this framemaker file in Trados Freelance 5.5? All help will be greatly appreciated.

In Trados 5.5, S-Tagger for FrameMaker is integrated in the whole software package. You have to start the Workspace environment and to handle the conversion and translation processes from there. Rule number one is to have a perfect hierarchical file structure. In the Manual for translators, you have can find some explanations about the Workspace Interface (First steps in Workspace, or so). It can be tricky because the whole workflow is not well explaned, but it\'s not impossible to do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a Framemaker (.fm) file with TRADOS

Translation news related to CAT tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »