https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/14534-trados_in_demo_mode.html

Trados in Demo Mode!
Thread poster: Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
German to English
+ ...
Sep 28, 2003

Hello, All!

All of a sudden my Trados Freelance ver 5.5.0.247 is acting up and will not open my larger TMs. It gives the messagge "Translation memory too large for demo mode. Connect dongle to PARALLEL port." My dongle IS connected to my USB port but apparently the software is not looking for it there.

When looking at Help-About it tells me that "Trans WB 5.5.0.237 application is running in ASP demo mode."

I am using the software on a Toshiba laptop under W
... See more
Hello, All!

All of a sudden my Trados Freelance ver 5.5.0.247 is acting up and will not open my larger TMs. It gives the messagge "Translation memory too large for demo mode. Connect dongle to PARALLEL port." My dongle IS connected to my USB port but apparently the software is not looking for it there.

When looking at Help-About it tells me that "Trans WB 5.5.0.237 application is running in ASP demo mode."

I am using the software on a Toshiba laptop under Windows XP Hobe Ed.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on here? Is there a fix?

Thanks,

Harold
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:59
English to Polish
+ ...
Dongle problems Sep 28, 2003

Check the messages here and in th tw_users group on yahoo. Chances are that one of the solutions described will work.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I experienced the same Sep 28, 2003

both on my Toshiba and Sony laptops.
But I experienced it only after entering the standby mode, eg. through closing the lid of my laptod instead of shutting it down in the proper way (by closing Windows). So I made the same on my desktop, I did not close Windows (shut down) but entered standby or suspend mode - after restarting the PC the dongle was not adresses anymore!
I think this is not a dongle problem, but a Windows problem (both XP and 2k). What you can do is to avoid entering
... See more
both on my Toshiba and Sony laptops.
But I experienced it only after entering the standby mode, eg. through closing the lid of my laptod instead of shutting it down in the proper way (by closing Windows). So I made the same on my desktop, I did not close Windows (shut down) but entered standby or suspend mode - after restarting the PC the dongle was not adresses anymore!
I think this is not a dongle problem, but a Windows problem (both XP and 2k). What you can do is to avoid entering the standby/suspend mode. If this occurs, simply close Trados and start it again - the dongle shoulb be recognised at once. Btw. it happens only with the USB dongle.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:59
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I had the same problem with Deja Vu Sep 28, 2003

I was adviced to install again the drivers for the dongle, and it worked, but it began to happen from time to time.
And yesterday I discovered why, and I hope it's not the same problem for you.
I had a virus in an .exe file.
It was W32.Pinfi, I could get rid of it, but was very scared of loosing all my files.

Patricia Gifford
Patricia Gifford  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Funny, I had the same problem today, too,... Sep 28, 2003

what you suggested is right, Jerzy, or at least that was the problem in my case. I hit the standby button by accident earlier today, and Trados went into the demo mode afterwards. But closing and reopening the program solved the problem.

Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working ... Sep 28, 2003

Patricia Gifford wrote:

what you suggested is right, Jerzy, or at least that was the problem in my case. I hit the standby button by accident earlier today, and Trados went into the demo mode afterwards. But closing and reopening the program solved the problem.

Thanks for you responses, everyone. Unfortunately, I have tried all that you have suggested and I am still getting that demo mode problem.

Thanks,

Harold

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Have you tried to reinstall the driver? Sep 29, 2003

maybe the file got corrupted somehow

(my brand new XP keeps "forgetting" about this or that peripheral and I can't pinpoint the reason... Any energency treatment against WinAlzheimer? So far only reinstallation has worked)

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try to download Sep 29, 2003

the newest driver for your sentinel dongle here http://www.rainbow.com/support/downloads.asp , deinstall the old one and install this one again. Be sure to remove the dongle before reinstalling the software.

HTH
Kind regards
Jerzy

Linda Joelsson
Linda Joelsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
Happens with licens files as well Jan 23, 2009

I've experienced the same problem when using a license file and solved it by going into Help > About > License Manger, and then checking the location of the licens file, making sure the software recognizes the location of your license file.

The reason for the error message in the first place seems to be that the program can't find the licens file so you need to edit the location and then it is OK again.

Hope this can help someone!

[Edited at 2009-01-23 09
... See more
I've experienced the same problem when using a license file and solved it by going into Help > About > License Manger, and then checking the location of the licens file, making sure the software recognizes the location of your license file.

The reason for the error message in the first place seems to be that the program can't find the licens file so you need to edit the location and then it is OK again.

[Edited at 2009-01-23 09:23 GMT]
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 23:59
It helped me!! :-) Jan 29, 2009

Linda Joelsson wrote:

[Edited at 2009-01-23 09:23 GMT]

The error message is rather misleading, isn't it?!

Siggitta (X)
Siggitta (X)
English to Latvian
Still have demo mode Oct 22, 2009

I also had this problem todays, however Restart did not work, as well as finding License file failed:( But I have a licensed copy (got it from my agency, in CD).

Shaila Kamath
Shaila Kamath  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:29
Member (2006)
French to English
cannot find license location in SDL Trados Jul 22, 2010

I get the message Translation too large for Demo Mode. Install a valid license or connect to ......
I tried going to Help>about>License Manager but found the license location field blank. I tried adding a location but could not locate the license file in SDL Trados folder. Please help

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You don't necessarily have a license file Jul 23, 2010

Shaila

The cure depends on the type of license you have. There are 3 types of licenses: activation code, node-locked and floating.
If you have a freelance version, you most probably have an "activation code" licence, which works in the way that you receive an activation code (a 6 x 4 digit code) in your customer account. You then have to activate your installed copy of the software once online by entering this activation code, after which this copy is activated. If you uninsta
... See more
Shaila

The cure depends on the type of license you have. There are 3 types of licenses: activation code, node-locked and floating.
If you have a freelance version, you most probably have an "activation code" licence, which works in the way that you receive an activation code (a 6 x 4 digit code) in your customer account. You then have to activate your installed copy of the software once online by entering this activation code, after which this copy is activated. If you uninstall the program (e.g. to reinstall it on another PC), you need to return your license in order to release the license, so you can use it again on another computer.
You can check all this in the License Manager. It will show you if your copy is activated or not, allow you to enter an activation code and also to return a licence.

Physical licence files are only used for node-locked licenses and this is why the "license location" field is blank.

Walter
Collapse

Shaila Kamath
Shaila Kamath  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:29
Member (2006)
French to English
trados still in demo mode Jul 26, 2010

I had actually returned the license and got a new one since I changed computers. Even after entering the activation code trados is running in demo mode. Should I return the license again and get a new license. Please offer some solutions

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Support Jul 26, 2010

Hello Shaila,
you are eligible for free support from SDL on installation and licensing issues. Use the "Solution Finder" in your profile to log a support case. The SDL guys should contact you shortly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados in Demo Mode!

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »