Elena Miguel
Elena Miguel  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 10, 2003

Is Trados wordcount reliable??
I mean, I have to quote a translation of more than 300 files (html files) and I wonder whether the wordcount in Trados is reliable as I've found a difference of +/-20% between the wordcount I get in Trados and the one my client has obtained counting the words in each file 1 by 1 in Word.
Thank you!!

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Word Count Oct 10, 2003

Hello,

how counts your client ?

There a lot of information for translation which are not seen in the html page (like title, skripts, ...)

Hans

[Edited at 2003-10-10 16:42]

Tobi
Tobi
English to German
+ ...
There is a difference Oct 10, 2003

Word counts each single word whereas Trados counts only the effective words, i.e. it does not count placables like numbers, etc.
The word count of Trados is usually lower than the one of Word.
Best regards,
Tobi

alx
alx  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:23
English to French
+ ...
Try Practicount Oct 10, 2003

Practicount is an excellent tool, valuable to us linguists, that will count anything on any document (Trados, Word, excel, Html..). You can download a free version from their website

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Matches and Repetitions Oct 10, 2003

Alexandra Girard wrote:

Practicount is an excellent tool, valuable to us linguists, that will count anything on any document (Trados, Word, excel, Html..). You can download a free version from their website

Hello,

can Practicount give some information about repetitions and matches for a tm ?

Hans

Rocío Boada del Sol (X)
Rocío Boada del Sol (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try FreeBudget Oct 10, 2003

Try this tool. It is free and yos can count the files accordind to thw word count or you can define it.

I really like it for "budgeting".

You can find it at:

www.webbudget.com

Daniel Meier
Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Try MatchCalculator Oct 10, 2003

DSC wrote:
...can Practicount give some information about repetitions and matches for a tm ?

Practicount doesn´t, but they have another tool called MatchCalculator. This tool is designed specially for Trados Log-files, and you can count different rates for Repetitions and Matches with it (I know, not all translators are happy with this). It is freeware, and you can download it at
www.practiline.com/mc/index.htm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordcount in Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »