https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/14895-help_needed_in_pre_translating_files_in_trados.html

Help needed in pre--translating files in Trados!
Thread poster: stephen mewes
stephen mewes
stephen mewes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:55
Swedish to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2003

I am having problems getting started started using version 5.5 Freelance. When I select the pre-translate option the files remain unchanged. Can anyone help?
Quincey

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:55
German to English
Have you checked the "hidden marks" box in word? Oct 11, 2003

You'll only see the segmentation if you have checked the "hidden marks" box - Go to tools, options, and about half way down "formatting" "hidden marks" should have a tick in it.

The options on my Trados are:
60% or higher match value
tick - segment unknown sentences
Update changed translations: dot in Don't
Translate terms: dot in Don't.

Hope you make it work!

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 11:55
German to English
+ ...
Pre-translate Oct 11, 2003

quincey wrote:

I am having problems getting started started using version 5.5 Freelance. When I select the pre-translate option the files remain unchanged. Can anyone help?
Quincey

Hi Quincey!

I don't know what experience you have of using Trados or CAT tools in general, so forgive me if I start with the basics here....

In order to be able to pre-translate a document, you must have corresponding segments in your memory (from previous translations you have done using Trados or from alignment projects, or from a memory the customer has sent you).

When you use pre-translate, Trados whips through your document and compares the segments in it with the segments in the memory. If there are any matches, then Trados fishes these out of the memory for you and inserts them into your translation for you to review. If there are no corresponding segments in the memory, Trados will find nothing and, as a result, enter nothing - so your file looks as if it has been left unchanged.

HTH

Alison

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed in pre--translating files in Trados!

Translation news related to CAT tools

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »