Trados and PageMaker
Thread poster: Elena Miguel

Elena Miguel  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 24, 2003

I've been offered a huge project in PageMaker involving several manuals that must be translated in PM. I'm quite familiar with Trados, and as some parts of the text are repeated in several manuals (security requirements, etc.) I'm wondering whether it is possible to use Trados or some other program to handle these parts of the text.
I must admit I've never used PM before, and have no idea on how to start. Is is a convenient software to work with, I mean, is it better to export the files to some other format easier to handle?
Could somebody please give me some brief guidelines on how to proceed (i.e., first you have to... and then..).
To begin with I've received a CD with the file and each manual has been divided into several folders with some pages in each PM file, is this normal?
Thank you in advance for your time and patience.

Direct link Reply with quote

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
StoryCollector for PageMaker is the key Oct 24, 2003

Find STORYCOLLECTORPM1033.HLP file and follow the instructions you can find there. One exception - you do not have to use Workspace, you can use standalone applications.

Let me know if any part of the help is unclear, I will provide you with more information.

Regards,
Wojtek Froelich

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:04
Flemish to English
+ ...
Does not seem to work too well... Oct 24, 2003

froelich wrote:

Find STORYCOLLECTORPM1033.HLP file and follow the instructions you can find there. One exception - you do not have to use Workspace, you can use standalone applications.

Let me know if any part of the help is unclear, I will provide you with more information.

Regards,
Wojtek Froelich

Followed your advice. Do you have to activate the workbench first? Otherwise no plugin appears in Pagemaker v7.0-perhaps a version compatibility problem??

[Edited at 2003-10-24 15:23]

Poland
English to Polish
This is standalone tool Oct 24, 2003

Williamson wrote:
Followed your advice. Do you have to activate the workbench first? Otherwise no plugin appears in Pagemaker v7.0-perhaps a version compatibility problem??

You do not have to activate Workbench - StoryCollector is a standalone tool.
You have to copy Trados Story Collector.add file from Trados installation folder into PageMaker X\\Rsrc\\Lang\\ folder, where Lang is the language of installation and X is the number of PageMaker version. Then you should be able to run SC from Utilities > Plug-ins menu in PageMaker.

Be sure to make at least \'standard\' installation of PageMaker, StoryCollector will not work on \'minimal\' installation.

I have used SC on PageMaker 6.5 (both Polish and English versions), will try to get some info on 7.0 version.

HTH,
Wojtek Froelich

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It will only work, if you correct a small mistake here Oct 24, 2003

froelich wrote:
You have to copy Trados Story Collector.add file from Trados installation folder into PageMaker X\\Rsrc\\Lang folder, where Lang is the language of installation and X is the number of PageMaker version. Then you should be able to run SC from Utilities > Plug-ins menu in PageMaker.

Be sure to make at least 'standard' installation of PageMaker, StoryCollector will not work on 'minimal' installation.

Be sure to use the folder
PageMaker X\\Rsrc\\Lang\\PLUGINS !!
Otherwise PM will not see the plugin.
The plugin from Trados 5.5/6.0 works with both PM 6.5 and 7.0.
The installation process and the usage are both the same: copy the Story Collector files in the above folder. Atfer starting Pm you will see the new plugin Trados Story Collector.
Usually it works without any problems.

Kind regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2003-10-24 18:12]

[Edited at 2003-10-24 18:12]

Poland
English to Polish
Of course it should be Plugins folder... Oct 24, 2003

Ooops. My mistake.

Wojtek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and PageMaker

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs