TagEditor doesn't identify tags - file mess
Thread poster: Ruben Berrozpe
Ruben Berrozpe  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Oct 31, 2003

Hello,
I would very much appreciate your opinion on a problem I have with Tag Editor (I own Trados freelance r6).

I am not an extensive T-E user, so this is pretty new to me. I am translating some html files. They're all pretty similar, and with some of them, everything looks fine, tags are displayed on the screen as expected, I do the translation, save the target file, etc.
The problem is, with some other files tag editor stops identifying tags at about 1/3 of the file, and the rest of it is just plain code (actually the first tag it doesn't identify is always the same). So when it comes to translate, it's of course a nuisance because you have to carefully look for the translatable text inside the tags, but on top of that, the file is no longer usable, since the html source code now appears on the screen in its full splendour when I create the target (translated) file.

I suspect this has something to do with the dtd settings file (maybe not), and I also suspect it's a very simple thing behind the big big problem it looks to me at the present moment. Also I thought maybe some of you have encountered this before and may be able to suggest some simple solution for me to try.

I will very much appreciate any help at this late friday evening - from those of you still working late!!

Thanks a lot and a best wishes for the weekend!

Rb

[Edited at 2003-10-31 23:23]

[Edited at 2003-10-31 23:25]

[Edited at 2003-11-01 10:48]

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:06
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just moved you Nov 1, 2003

to CAT Tool Tech Support.

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Maybe it is error in HTML coding Nov 1, 2003

Ruben Berrozpe wrote:
The problem is, with some other files tag editor stops identifying tags at about 1/3 of the file, and the rest of it is just plain code (actually the first tag it doesn't identify is always the same). So when it comes to translate, it's of course a nuisance because you have to carefully look for the translatable text inside the tags, but on top of that, the file is no longer usable, since the html source code now appears on the screen in its full splendour when I create the target (translated) file.

I would rather suspect some error in HTML code - try to identify where TE starts showing strange segments and check this place in original source HTML.

HTH,
Wojtek Froelich

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Damaged tag somewhere Nov 1, 2003

I had the same problem with a file a while ago - turned out to be an authoring problem in the file rather than a real TE problem.

froelich wrote:
I would rather suspect some error in HTML code - try to identify where TE starts showing strange segments and check this place in original source HTML.

Exactly - one incomplete tag can mess up the rest of the file. If you cannot see the problem in TagEditor, check the critical section of the file in a normal text editor.

Cheers, Ralf

Ruben Berrozpe  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thank you wojtek, ralf (and parrot) Nov 1, 2003

Well wasn't it simple... you were right of course. There was an error in one of the tags (the tag where everything started...). I edited it and now TagEditor works just fine.

It is funny how we translators have to deal with our clients' mistakes as if we were real programmers... I can't tell you how guilty I felt about being unable to solve this problem with the client's deadline always looming nearer...

Thank you very much, really. It's nice to know there's always people around here who can enlighten you when in trouble.
Best,

Rb

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor doesn't identify tags - file mess

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs