https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/15774-trados_not_converting_document_error_50202.html

Trados not converting document - Error 50202
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 11:06
German to English
Nov 13, 2003

Agghhh, Trados has been doing strange things since I converted to Windows XP...

Now it is refusing to convert the document "due to a OCE/COm or file name error", error 50202

When I checked this out under the help topics and on their support site, it indicates that this problem only occurs if you are using Word 95, which makes no sense whatsoever as I have Word 2002.

Anyone know what the problem is????

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:06
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I don´t know why, but Nov 13, 2003

I know, that it is NOT necessary at all to convert a documet, if you want to work with Trados and Word.
Possibly you are trying to clean up your translated document - then do this in Word, without converting and without loosing anything (almost), what you will, if you save the document in RTF.
If you want to analyse the document and Trados refuses to convert it due to an OLE error, so possibly the original Word document is badly formatted, heavily loaded with graphics or there are ot
... See more
I know, that it is NOT necessary at all to convert a documet, if you want to work with Trados and Word.
Possibly you are trying to clean up your translated document - then do this in Word, without converting and without loosing anything (almost), what you will, if you save the document in RTF.
If you want to analyse the document and Trados refuses to convert it due to an OLE error, so possibly the original Word document is badly formatted, heavily loaded with graphics or there are other problems, caused by the document itself. So if you want to analyse such document, simply save it as RTF prior to analysis - Trados won´t need to convert it anymore and the analysis will work.

I assume, you have the latest Trados and Office patches installed, but even with them it happens sometimes.
Simply don´t panic - there is almost allways an easy solution to many problems.

For the case you don´t know how to clean files in Word:
As you do not clean in Workbench, the TM will NOT be actualised, so what you need is to open any segment you want to change in the usuall way (by pressing ALT+POS1), then make the changes and SAVE them in the TM (by pressing ALT+END). After that you can clean up your file, as all changes are saved in the TM. Press ALT+F8, the macro list opens. Search for a macro called "tw4winClean.Main" and let it run. Be aware, that you will need to clean up header/footer manually for all sections in your document with the same macro. The same is with the text boxes, if there are any in your document. It may seem a lot of work, but you can be sure, the document will be cleaned up, and no formatting will be lost (almost, what you possibly loose are embeded graphics in text lines, which are linked to graphic files not present on your PC). To avoid this keep the original (not translated file) under other name in your PC, so you are then able to restore graphics by copying them from original file. This is the only inconvenience of this method.

HTH
Jerzy

If you need any further assistance, please contact me directly.
Collapse

Pauline Demazure
Pauline Demazure
Spanish to French
+ ...
"due to a OCE/COm or file name error" Aug 27, 2007

Hi!

I want to pre translate a document (i already have a memory, and i know about 50% of my text is in the memory!) and when i do it in workbench it seems to work as usual and then just at the end, it says "Word coul not convert the document due to a OCE/COm or file name error".

Then i only have my .bak document but nothing changed and it translated nothing....

Is it a problem with Word (i have Word 2003 and trados 7) ?

I tryed to save in .rtf
... See more
Hi!

I want to pre translate a document (i already have a memory, and i know about 50% of my text is in the memory!) and when i do it in workbench it seems to work as usual and then just at the end, it says "Word coul not convert the document due to a OCE/COm or file name error".

Then i only have my .bak document but nothing changed and it translated nothing....

Is it a problem with Word (i have Word 2003 and trados 7) ?

I tryed to save in .rtf file, it seems to work but then i could not open the .rtf file, even when i rename it with .doc file...

Now it seems i have no more solutions, i don't know what else i could do!

Thank in advance for your help!

Pauline
Collapse

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
HELP.....HELP Feb 5, 2009

I just have exactly the same problem :
workbench cannot analyze my file : error 50202 due to a OCE/COm or file name error

Oana Nicoleta Diaconu
Oana Nicoleta Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 18:06
English to Romanian
+ ...
I have a solution that could help: Feb 17, 2009

Try saving the file as rtf before analysing and it will work. I don't know the source of this error.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados not converting document - Error 50202

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »