Belenmc
Belenmc  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2010

HI

I am translating a big project in Idiom WorldServer 9.0.1.49. I have finished it and I want to run the spellchecker. The thing is that I do not have that option in my program, I cannot even see it. It is supposed to be under tools, but I do not have it. The shortkey supposedly is "F7", but when I press it nothing happens.

Do you know which may be the cause of this?

Thanks for your help.

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:33
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Check your spelling engine configuration Feb 24, 2010

In Tools > Options, have a look at the Spelling tab.

You should find a little icon with tooltip "Configure spelling engine", if you click on it you can choose to use built-in dictionaries or MS Office spelling engine.

(Also, for the spell check command to be available you should have at least 1 asset open and displayed. To run it as a single task covering all assets of a project, double click the project name at the top of the Project Navigator)

Hope this h
... See more
In Tools > Options, have a look at the Spelling tab.

You should find a little icon with tooltip "Configure spelling engine", if you click on it you can choose to use built-in dictionaries or MS Office spelling engine.

(Also, for the spell check command to be available you should have at least 1 asset open and displayed. To run it as a single task covering all assets of a project, double click the project name at the top of the Project Navigator)

Hope this helps,
Roberta

[Edited at 2010-02-24 13:39 GMT]
Collapse

Belenmc
Belenmc  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I cannot see the icon/button Feb 24, 2010

Hi

Thanks for your answer. I have tried adding the Microsoft dictionary, but the problem is I cannot see the "Spelling" button. (It is not that I can see it but it is not available; directly I can't see it!) I know where it is supposed to be (under Tools, the first option, but my first option is Wordcount). I don't know what the problem is... :S

And I have tried doing it with an asset open, but It's the same...

[Edited at 2010-02-24 14:18 GMT]

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda
Juan Martín Fernández Rowda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Workaround Mar 9, 2010

I usually try to avoid Idiom's spellchecker as I don't get good results. Instead, what you can do is spell check files in Word. So, in Idiom, export your translated segments (File > Export > Segments). Then open the exported TXT file in Excel, copy the Spanish column and paste it into a new Word document. Now you can spellcheck files (set to International Spanish if appropriate and press F7). If any misspeling is detected, search for it in Idiom, and fix it in your Idiom asset.

Mayb
... See more
I usually try to avoid Idiom's spellchecker as I don't get good results. Instead, what you can do is spell check files in Word. So, in Idiom, export your translated segments (File > Export > Segments). Then open the exported TXT file in Excel, copy the Spanish column and paste it into a new Word document. Now you can spellcheck files (set to International Spanish if appropriate and press F7). If any misspeling is detected, search for it in Idiom, and fix it in your Idiom asset.

Maybe is not the fastest way, but I find this more effective than spellchecking in Desktop Workbench
Collapse

Gemma Beltran (X)
Gemma Beltran (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spelling takes forever Aug 12, 2014

Hi!
I am new using Idiom but whenever I run the Spelling option it takes forever... Right now, I have a 7000 word document and it is taking 2 hours to run the spelling option... Has this ever happened to you? Is this normal?

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to run the spellchecker in Idiom Worldserver 9.0.1.49

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »