Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:01
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 18, 2003

Hello all,

I invested in Trados Freelance a few weeks ago but haven't found the time to learn how to use it effectively, and one of the projects I'm working on seems like a good opportunity to put Trados to work, except... I'm kind of lost.

The project involves several Pagemaker files with very similar text. So far, I've been working on the files independently and "copying/pasting" identical segments of text, but from what I understand about Trados, I could really bene
... See more
Hello all,

I invested in Trados Freelance a few weeks ago but haven't found the time to learn how to use it effectively, and one of the projects I'm working on seems like a good opportunity to put Trados to work, except... I'm kind of lost.

The project involves several Pagemaker files with very similar text. So far, I've been working on the files independently and "copying/pasting" identical segments of text, but from what I understand about Trados, I could really benefit from using it for this project, so I've done the following:

I aligned sample source and target files to try to create a translation memory (following the suggestions in this forum about Story Collector), the problem is, I don't know what to do next. I've been reading the user guides and the help files, but my understanding of Trados at this point is so limited that I'm starting to feel like it is a waste of time (I could've already finished two files direclty in PM by now!)

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me a few basic steps to follow in order to get started with Trados and Pagemaker (as I said, I've aligned two files, but I don't even know where the results are!).

Thank you!
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:01
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Kind of simple workflow Nov 18, 2003

I assume you have allready set a translation memory for your purposes.
What you now need is to export text from PM, translate it using Trados and import it back to PM.

So these are the steps I would go:

Open the file in Pagemaker. Let all special characters (ie. line breaks, tabs and so on) be shown. Proof the text, if there are no unnecessary line breaks, lines alingned with tabulators or with spaces (even worser). Many people do not use the formating op
... See more
I assume you have allready set a translation memory for your purposes.
What you now need is to export text from PM, translate it using Trados and import it back to PM.

So these are the steps I would go:

Open the file in Pagemaker. Let all special characters (ie. line breaks, tabs and so on) be shown. Proof the text, if there are no unnecessary line breaks, lines alingned with tabulators or with spaces (even worser). Many people do not use the formating options in proper way, so you can find a line followed by soft return and the next line beginning with tabulator, even if the text in both lines belongs together. You have to correct such formating in order to get better translation results in Trados.

Save your corrected file under a new name (ie. by adding a code for your language to the file name).

Select the Trados plug in and let the stories be exported. Give a name for the stories. This will be a tagged text file, containing all stories. Usually you do not need to change any settings.

After exporting stories you can leave PM open or close it. Do not forget to save the file, as Story Collectors makes some changes in it in order to be able to reimport stories.

Start Workbench and TAG Editor.
In TAG Editor select "tagged Pagemaker file" to open and open the exported file.

Translate your file with TAG Editor.
Save it from time to time.

Save the translated file with the option "Save target text as..." In order not to overwrite the original file save the new one in different location under the same name.

Start PM again and open the file you were editing or switch back to it.

Select Trados plug in and import your translated story. Be aware to import the translated one from the new location.

Correct formating in PM - for Polish for example you would need to select a proper font (e.g. Arial CE).

Save the file.

You are finished

Hope this is a kind of help for you and you can understand it despite of my mistakes in English...

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Or you can use Word Nov 19, 2003

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Start Workbench and TAG Editor.
In TAG Editor select "tagged Pagemaker file" to open and open the exported file.

Translate your file with TAG Editor.
Save it from time to time.

Save the translated file with the option "Save target text as..." In order not to overwrite the original file save the new one in different location under the same name.

If you prefer translating in Word:
5. Convert text file to RTF using ITP Filter Pack.
6. Translate (Word + Workbench).
7. Clean-up, convert back to text file (ITP Filter Pack again).

HTH,
Wojtek Froelich

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How do customers take your changes? Nov 19, 2003

Hi Jerzy,
when you correct the formatting, do the customers notice it and do they mind? I once had the opportunity to use the storycollector but did not dare to undertake the task. Fortunately they let me convert it into Word.
Wouldn't it be easier to copy and paste into Word, translate there and put it all back?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I don´t think so Nov 19, 2003

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Hi Jerzy,
when you correct the formatting, do the customers notice it and do they mind?

Well, what I mean is such kind of format correcting, that the text after that formating looks exactly the same it looked before. When you make an enumeration in Word, Word formats the text automatic, you do not need to use tabs or space. But some people are not aware of the fact, that you can format the text in Pagemaker in the same way, so they put a tab before each line of enumeration. Then you don´t have complete sentences, but only splitted sentences. If you correct this format, the text looks exactly the same as before, but it is better to work with.

Changing fonts is sometimes necessary and this must be accepted by the customer, as otherwise eg. polish language cannot be used.

I once had the opportunity to use the storycollector but did not dare to undertake the task. Fortunately they let me convert it into Word.
Wouldn't it be easier to copy and paste into Word, translate there and put it all back?

Well, I don´t thik it would be easier to copy and paste the text to Word and translate it there. With Story Collector you get the whole text at once and don´t have to be carefull with anything you do on it. When working in Pagemaker you can take back only the last action you did. Sometimes it can cost you the whole text and you have to start over again... So if you don´t want to use Story Collector, use T-Window for Clipboard instead. Then you need to select the sentence to be translated in PM, copy it (CTRL+C), and if T-Window is properly set ("auto activate" + "auto open/get" must be on, but this is by default the case) it opens, you can translate yourtext there, and after pressing "ALT+END" T-Window closes (but does not shut down, so with the next copying of text it opens again) and your text is copied to clipboard. In PM you have to press CTRL+V and the text is placed there.
Working in PM one must be although aware of the problems that can occur, so I would really prefer to take Story Collector (I do this in the way Wojtek described, with Filter Pack, but this needs some more steps, and that´s why I did not describe it in my first post).

Kind regards
Jerzy

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
To Wojtek Nov 19, 2003

You do not even need to clean up the file, using filter pack.
If you go with uncleaned RTF to filter pack, you will still get the rigth output file for Pagemaker.
So you can keep uncleaned RTFs for futre purposes.

Kind regards
Jerzy

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Right Nov 19, 2003

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You do not even need to clean up the file, using filter pack.

You are right. I have this habit because I usually work with files translated by somebody else (and these files sometimes are not correct Trados files).

Wojtek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Basic workflow: Pagemaker & Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »